Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Mushroom Reaction, doctors stumped

For the last 4 years, every year; I have picked a sp. of mushroom. Throughout the year I pick many different mushrooms and have never had trouble., Last year after picking a particular type of mushrooms I developed welts on my face which soon errupted into yellow weeping scabs (Doctors swabbed and confirmed Staphylococcus and the prescribed medication soon got rid of it). A year has passed, I have picked many other mushrooms and now I am back to picking the bad one; after handling them my face welts again and grows staph infection! Treat it and it goes away and I am back to normal, I pick some and then less than 24 hrs later I have another staph infection!!
I cannot consume so many anti-biotics and the doctor visits are expensive; I have tried anti-histamines to no avail and I would really like to be able to pick these mushrooms still. I have been trying gloves which helps a bit but I still end up with infection.
Any ideas on how I can develop staph infection as an allergic response?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 8th, 2017
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. I cant correlate use of mushroom to the staph infection on face, there must be some other cause, nose picking may be the reason, immune status need to be assessed, consult a dermatologist and let them have a look.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Allergies , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.