I have some questions about muscle twitching in relation to ALS. Can anyone help me. I am a 53 year old female, married with two teenagers. Here are my symptoms and my questions.

Can ALS start in the hand? I have had body wide muscle twitching for many years. It is very mild, comes and goes usually in the calf, knee, elbow or back of the arm. 6 months ago I started twitching in the top of my left hand between the thumb and index finger. It lasted about 3 days and then completely went away. About 6 weeks ago it happened again in the same hand, only this time it was twitching on the palm side right below the thumb. Again it lasted 3-4 days and went away. 2 weeks ago the twitching was back again on the top side of the hand and was making my index finger twitch. This time the twitching was occurring every few minutes for about 6 hours. The next day it was gone. Since that time I have had some twitching everyday in that hand although it is greatly diminished in intensity, I can still see it and feel it occasionally. I also get a prickly feeling in that hand sometimes. In addition, I have had some muscle aching in the arm and shoulder on the same side. I have full use of the hand and arm. I don't notice any weakness or atrophy in that limb. No trouble picking up anything, or using my hand to do anything. I don't drop anything, but I occasionally have some moderate pain in the thumb area when I lift a heavy object. Also, my arm will hurt and feel tired when I am carrying heavy bags or boxes.

I am menopausal and have a history of osteoarthritis in hands, shoulders, knees and feet, and cervical disc herniation (C4, C5 and C6). I received a shot of cortisone in my left shoulder October of last year. This twitching started in the left hand a month after receiving the cortisone shot. Could there be a correlation between the cortisone and the twitching, or could this be an early sign of ALS? If the twitching started 6 months ago, and this was ALS, wouldn't I be having other symptoms or a worsening of the twitching in other places by now. I am very scared and needing any advice or info. I have seen two doctors and they have checked my reflexes and strength. Aside from a slightly brisk knee jerk reflex, everything was normal, including the Babinski reflex.

I am having alot of anxiety over this and I know that stress and anxiety make these symptoms worse. Information from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Neutral
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 20th, 2013
My neurologist told me, when I asked the same question, that I should not worry whether I have fasciculations, twitches, or not.
|

replied September 30th, 2013
Experienced User
I had twitching in my abdominal area and after changing my body wash gel the twitchings are gone after a week from stopping using it. That easy.
|
Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....