Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Muscle Pain, Side Effect or Symptom?

User Profile
Hello,

I'm on numerous medications to treat agoraphobia and bi-polar disorder. The medications listed oldest to newest are wellbutrin (antidepressant - 300mg), imovane (sleep aid - 7.5mg), seroquel (antipsychotic - 500mg), clonazepam (anti-anxiety - 0mg-3mg) and valproic acid (mood stabilizer - 500mg). I'm nearly 22 and I weigh 160 pounds. I'm 5'5 and female.

Lately I've been suffering from intense muscle pain and bone pains, especially at the joints, lower back and calves. I have been working on exercising for at least 20 minutes every other day and I've been doing this for over a year now without issue, but shortly after starting the valproic acid my muscles started seizing. At first it was near the end of my workout, but then it started happening even with a walk around the block or a few trips up and down stairs. It got so bad when walking to my doctors that I had to sit down on the side of the road every block to give my legs a break. I was convinced that it was the new medication and made an immediate appointment with my doctor, but she said that muscle pain like that isn't normally a side effect. I got bloodwork done and it was perfect-- with a very slightly elevated Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (but it had decreased since my last visit). She has kept me on the medication and I've tried to accept that it's not the meds and I've tried to move on from that.

It hasn't gotten better. If anything it has gotten much worse. I can't walk a block without my calves killing me, I can't open a tight jar without my wrists hurting and I can't lift anything without my back causing issues. I want it to stop. I'm not as healthy as I would like to be, but there have been no lifestyle changes that could cause this kind of reaction... The pain lasts for hours at a time. Even typing this is making my wrists ache. If anybody has any ideas of what it could be and what I should talk to my doctor about it would be greatly appreciated...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 4th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and would like to help

Not valporic acid but other medications that you are taking can result in such symptoms
Welbutrin can cause muscle aches ,clonazepam can make you fatigue while zopiclone(imvocane) can make your legs and arms feel heavy.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Dr khalil
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bipolar Disorder , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.