29 year old male, symptoms persist for 6 months to 1 year.

Primary symptoms:

- Intermittent Joint pain (shoulder, knee, MTP joint)
- Gradual muscle loss (loss of definition, soft or "loose" muscles); no weight loss present
- Frequent urge to urinate

Secondary symptoms:

- Biopsy of skin mark near knee included differential diagnosis of 'purpuric dermatosis' (rash present for months and slowly spreading)
- Short term memory loss/difficulty recalling names/words
- Mood swings / anxiety
- Spider veins

Two questions:

1) As a doctor, what tests would you order?
2) As a patient, what specialist should you seek out for this suite of symptoms?

Read more: muscle loss + joint pain - tests to run? doctors to visit? - Orthopedics Forum - eHealthForum http://ehealthforum.com/health/muscle-loss -joint-pain-tests-to-run-doctors-to-visit- t495430.html#ixzz4JVe3UagA
Follow us: @ehealthforums on Twitter
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 5th, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
As a doctor I would suggest EMG,CPK,ESR,Muscle biopsy,AntiCCP,ENA profile,bone scan and HIV.
As a patient I would suggest rheumatologist.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Neurological Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.