i am 28 year old male and getting married within 2 weeks time from now. My wouldbe has diagonized that she has catched Mumps from her friend. her left and right has slightly swollen now.

please advice me the following.

1) what precautions should i take to avoid getting mumps from her
2) During my childhood, i heared i am vaccinated, but only once i believe. My parents are not sure, whether its MMR vaccine or something else
3) If i take vaccine now, whether it will have any side effects.
4) since i am getting married, any specific advice to me
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 19th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Infected person with mumps is contagious 3 days prior and 9 days after the onset of swollen glands.
Try to avoid contact with her saliva, protect yourself from the airdrops when she sneezes or coughs, and don't share utilizes.
A vaccination history with at least one dose of MMR should offer effective protection.
If you are concerned talk with your physician about another shot of MMR or only mumps vaccine.
The adverse risks of vaccine are less present than the disease complications are.

Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied June 19th, 2009
dear Marija

Thanks for the quick reply. i have not met in person for the last 20 days, and i will meet her only after 14 days from today (today only she reported her upper jaw got swollen). So there are another 14 days to meet her in person.

So should i get vaccine. please share your knowledge
|

User Profile
replied June 22nd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
You are welcome!
According to your information about time of contacts with her, it is very unlikely for you to get infected with the mumps virus.
If you have never received a mumps-containing vaccine or had only one dose of MMR and have had limited opportunity for exposure to natural mumps (born after 1980), you may talk with your physician about receiving complete mumps vaccination with two doses, a month apart, to be protected from possible mumps infection in future.
When there is doubt about an individual's vaccination status, MMR should still be given as there are no ill effects from vaccinating those who are already immune (who had vaccination history or have been ill with mumps).

Best wishes!
Marija
|
Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....