Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Immune Disorders Forum

Multiple symptoms and confusing bloodwork

I have had a history of joint pain and chronic UTI's - and previously thought these issues unrelated. After significant worsening of the joint pain and a troublesome loss of appetite I consulted a doctor, who did general bloodwork as well as an ANA test. I tested positive on the ANA but also came up as very slightly hypothyroid although the only symptoms of hypothyroidism I had were fatigue, joint pain, and loss of appetite - none of which were effected by treatment with levoxyl OR synthroid.

After several years without health insurance I have finally gone back to the doctor to discuss my increasingly painful and fast UTI's, as well as attempting to re-address my joint pain. I've had swollen glands in my neck and armpits for a while also, but haven't had any symptoms of infection.

I just got my blood work and I really don't know what to make of it. WBC is 3.6 and RBC is 4.05, both low but the RBC doesn't seem TOO low. Neutrophil is significantly low in both % (33) and count (1.2), and lymphocyte is high in % (56) but normal in count (2.0). Also, my MCV is normal. My TSH is ever so slightly high but my doctor apparently didn't find it important to run a T3 or T4, and although he said he was running an ANA no results for such test are here.

Even stranger is that my ALT/SGPT is low (10U/L), and I came back positive for a UTI. This lab was run over a week ago and I did not and do not have a UTI. If I do it's some domesticated form of e. coli that's not bothering me. I think it's more likely that the urine sample was contaminated. However, if I did have a UTI, would this account for the CBC results, even if there doesn't appear to be an immune response to the infection (lack of symptoms)? If I don't have a UTI (which is what I suspect) what would explain the low ALT/SGPT?

I started looking at causes for these labs and symptoms and from what I can tell everything keeps pointing to CLL or an auto-immune disorder, depending on the ANA and the thyroid panel. Both account for the severe joint pain, loss of appetite, fatigue, and swollen glands. CLL would explain the recurrent infections, but an AID would better explain the hypothyroid and ANA (if they still exist?).

Is there any other explanation for these results that I'm just not finding? Is it possible that all of these issues really aren't related? I used to think they weren't but when I started to notice that the increased joint pain coincided with the increase in UTI's, fatigue, appetite loss and thyroid problem; along with all symptoms worsening during times of high stress, I really started to wonder.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you.

EDIT: Also for general reference, 23yo female, as physically active as my joints will allow, healthy diet, no drinking or smoking.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 5th, 2010
Supporter
Hi Honey..I have several autoimmune diseases and the symptoms are fickle at best..Example my Labs can be high or low-with or without an ANA response..

I have fatigue, swollen glands-doc said not really swollen but to me they feel swollen which is part of the autoimmune..Joint pain is there and I have nodules that have come up on my hands and soles of left foot..All again part of the autoimmune..Stress can aggravate how you feel most definetly..

It is good you move around because not moving could make you hurt even more and can make it to where you almost can''t move..Not saying it won''t hurt because it does..

Also-you might want to have your vitamin levels checked..I was shocked to learn how low my levels were..I take more than the over the coutner vitamins now..I can''t say I see a big difference but my husband said he can..Just in enrgy levels..I have agreat site I will find and coe back on to send you..It has all the labs and meanings..k
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....