Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Multiple Sclerosis Forum

Multiple Sclerosis and Myasthenia Gravis

Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
Hello, I was diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis in 2008 due to a number of neurological symptoms. I had an MRI of the brain in 10/07 and it showed non specific white matter in the right periventricular atrium. I had a spinal tap but it was negative. I had another MRI on 7/09 and it showed much more abnormal white matter. My neurologist believes it can still be MS. I am going to see a neuromusclar speciliast. I definantly have Myasthenia Gravis. My question is: Is it possible to have both MG and MS? Does anyone suffer with both of these diseases? I have many symptoms of both and it is driving me crazy!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper DrDentist
|

User Profile
replied October 2nd, 2009
I too was pre-diagnosed with MYasthenia Gravis. I don't have the white matter problems, I have a persistant signal abnormality within my brain stem, whic showed a 3mm lesion. The reason for the MG, is I had the anti-MUSK antibodies test done and it showed a positive in the striational antibodies. The calcium channels and AcHr tests were negative. Thus, I went for a SF EMG and it proved normal. My neuro still isn't convinced, and is looking at MS possibility. I have read that you can have both diseases. Medical professionals are researching to find out why. I have been suffering undiagnosed for 4 years now and have been to 4 Neurologists. Good luck and research MS & MG.
|

replied October 2nd, 2009
4 years! That is a long time to go undiagnosed and untreated. All of my symptoms started 2 years ago and it took the docotors 10 months to diagnose me with MG after seeing several neurologist including the best neuro in town. Next week I am going to have a cervical MRI and an eye test. I hope this does not continue to be a ton of unanswered questions. I pray that you can get a definate diagnosis soon.
|

replied September 28th, 2010
i have both MG and MS
i was diagnosed MS with an MRI 5 months ago, and it was obvious
after ms diagnosis by 3 months , i got ptosis in one eye that may be sever to close it completely and affect the other eye
my neurologist prescribed mestinon and once i started taking it , the ptosis stopped and i felt better, i think that MG is affecting me worser than MS
|

replied March 6th, 2012
i have had MS for 10 years. Continually complained of weakness in my neck. steroids interferon,nothing relieved the weakness which led to more pain and weakness.all of this was attributed to the lesions in the c2&c3 of cerebral spine. diagnosed last year with MG.
Mestinon has been a life saver for me. I only take mestinon and 1 anti-depressant a day
|

replied September 5th, 2015
DrDentist

I was diagnosed with MS, October 2012, now it's September 2015 and I show symptoms of MG also. Please give me some insight.
|

replied January 27th, 2011
Myasthenia Gravis and Multiple Sclerious
I also have both MS and MG and I would have to say MG is much worse then MS.. I am also on Mestinon and fixing to be set for surgery to have my thymus Gland removed.. cause of a mass on it.
|

replied March 6th, 2012
autoimmune connection
I have been diagnosed with MG for 15 years, and was recently diagnosed with MS as well. I have three other autoimmune disorders - hashimoto's thyroiditis, endometriosis, and migraines. There is a great book called "The autoimmune connection" which talks about clusters of autoimmune disorders. Because of my new MS diagnosis, I'm not sure what symptoms are MG and which are MS related. Time will tell, I guess.
|

replied May 8th, 2012
I was diagnosed with MG last year...started mestinon and prednisone...steadily got worse,until I had a crisis in February...IVIg helped a little,but still suffering from many symptoms. Recently I have started developing other problems,which seem to be more in line with MS...so I wondered if it was possible to have both MG and MS. At my next visit to neurologist I certainly want to discuss this possibility,as I am vexed by my health situation.
|

replied July 6th, 2012
I have both MG and MS, so yes you can have both. X
|

replied October 19th, 2012
MS and MG
I was diagnosed with MS several yrs ago and take copaxone for it. Its been a god send. But now my neuro is looking into MG also. Thanks for all your input because I was unsure if it was possible to have both and was actually afraid they would just change my diagnosis. That would suck 'cause knowing and not guessing is better than being unsure or having diagnosis changed on a "whim". Some symtoms are sooo MS but others are questionable. thanks again to all of you Someone please post the different tests that are done for each MS and MG. I've had the MRI's yearly, lumbar pun. and eye test (not difenative) and now blood work for MG. Anything else anyone can add?
|