Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Pain Management Forum

multiple nerve blocks for undiagnosed bilateral wrist pain.

User Profile
I have undiagnosed bilateral wrist pain. I have constant aching pain (akin to arthritic pain in humidity, but to a greater extent) focused on the inner part of my wrists. When used my hands cramp with severe pain, but do not get stuck in a fixed position. Occasionally I have tingling numbness in the mornings, or I'll feel a slight shooting tingle if I hit my hand awkwardly. I've been dealing with this for five years with it just getting worse. I had a carpal tunnel release done on my right hand in 2011 which relieved the carpal tunnel symptoms I had previously been experiencing. Since surgery, I had multiple consultations with different orthopaedists until I was told there was nothing more they could do. Then I did physical therapy, I was cleared by rhumetologists, and neurologists before going to a pain clinic (close to 2 yrs now) where I had multiple nerve blocks done and nsaid pain relievers as well as narcotics, though they're reluctant to give me since I'm 20. Nothing has helped.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 29th, 2015
Pain Management Answer A50903

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

Your concern is regarding the chronic bilateral wrist pain.

From your history, it is important to rule out carpal tunnel syndrome as one of the principal causes. The typical symptoms include numbness and paresthesia (a burning and tingling sensation) in the fingers, especially the thumb, index, and middle fingers.

Other than that juvenile rheumatid arthritis should also be ruled out. It is most common kind of arthritis among kids and teens and occurs due to inflammation of synovial membrane. JRA is a chronic condition, meaning it usually lasts for a relatively long period of time (at least 6 weeks or more) and can last for months and years. Also get your calcium and vitamin D levels checked as rickets needs to be ruled out.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Pain Management , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.