My dad has cirrhosis, hep C, and just found out he has five or six tumors in his liver ranging in size from 15mm-2cm. One of the tumors is butted up against his portal vein and the dr. thinks the cancer is probably in his blood as well. He is totally without outward symptoms and in no pain. He had a clean ct scan in Feb. and this cancer was found in the first part of June. Judging with that information in mind, what would be a life expectancy? He has opted out from receiving any treatments. I know you can't say for sure:-(
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 5th, 2010
Unfortunately, although everybody with cancer (and their families) desperately wants to know the answer to this question, no doctor (including me) can say how long any individual patient will survive with their cancer. There are many, many medical factors that affect survival among cancer patients, and doctors are simply notoriously inaccurate in predicting how long patients with chronic diseases, including cancer, will survive. For this reason, when my own cancer patients ask this question (as most of them do), I tell them to take each and every day as it comes, and to consider each day of life on this planet as a blessing.

I hope that your father will remain healthy for a good long time, despite his liver cancer.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Users who thank Dr. Robert Wascher for this post: policia5 

replied July 7th, 2010
Thank you for the quick reply. I am sure you get that question every day. I knew I wouldn't get an answer.... and if I did I probably wouldn't have liked it anyway Smile God bless all of us.
|

User Profile
replied July 8th, 2010
Thank you for your kind reply. I wish that I could have offered you a more helpful response, but I think that it is best to avoid "guessing" when it comes to such an important question.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com
A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Must Read
The liver is the largest organ of the body. What happens when liver cells start to overgrow? What types of liver cancer can develop?...
Most of the time, liver cancer does not originate in the liver but has spread from other parts of the body. Learn what puts you at risk of this serious disease....
Symptoms of liver cancer may go unnoticed in the early stages of the disease. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of cancer here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Liver Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.