Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

Muffled hearing, stuffy ears, crackling and popping

User Profile
For about two years now I have been having a problem with my ears. I know this will probably sound really weird but here's what's been happening..I have had muffled hearing and my ears have felt stuffy. Both ears, The biggest issue is that when I place my finger just inside my ear canal and apply some pressure and release...there is a very loud crackling and popping sound..It last for 1 or 2 seconds then stops..In both ears the same. I can even feel It bubbling inside my ear. It sounds and feels like some type of fluid.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile

User Profile
replied April 30th, 2013
TMJ Answer A43195
Welcome to e health forum.

From the description provided it seems that you may be having a condition called as Glue Ear or Serous Otitis Media.

Serous otitis media describes a collection of fluid in the middle ear. This may be acute (not lasting for a long time) or chronic (lasting for a long time).

Chronic (Long standing) otitis media , as in your case can occur due to long standing eustachian tube blockage or thickening of fluid, due to which it cannot be absorbed or drained down the tube.

Symptoms can range from ear discomfort, pain, slight reduction in hearing and irritation.

Treatment of the condition can be done with medications including antihistamines and decongestants and nasal sprays. In long standing cases, a small surgical procedure involving placement of a ear tube in the ear drum (tympanic membrane) may be required to facilitate drainage of the fluid.

You might consult with your primary doctor or a ENT doctor who can examine you and provide specific advice and treatment.

I hope this helps.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Tags: TMJ, hearing, apply, ear
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our TMJ , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.