Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

'Mucus Membrane" coughing up green, odd shape

"Hello all -

Ive always pondered what this substance is called and why it is caused.
I could not find anything while researching online. Most searches pulled up articles and experiences related to Tonsilloliths/Tonsil Stones, but these are not what I am referring to. Though similar, I call them 'Mucus Membranes' just because they are small, green oddly shaped things. No crazy smell from them, and they happen randomly throughout Life. No type of consistency. Usually, they just appear all of a sudden from within causing you to voluntary/involuntarily cough them out. Light green in color. Sometimes they shoot out if you are not prepared. Sometimes you have to 'hawk' them out if they get a little stuck. Anyone familiar with these? Like I said, they happen randomly. Happened today which promoted this article. I have no allergies and do not smoke. Cannot provide a picture, but if need be next time I shall take a photo although it could be months before it happens again."
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 19th, 2014
Hi,
Welcome to ehalthforum,
It is difficult to comment on the exact cause for the lesion that you describe without examining you and going ahead with thorough evaluation. If symptoms have been persistent or recurrent, consider visiting your doctor/healthcare provider for thorough examination, evaluation, clarification and assistance. Avoid self diagnosis and self treatment.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.