If you are female with MS, and had a hysterecomy, how long did it take for you to recover?
6 weeks
2 months
4 months
6 months or longer
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 0
I do not know if anyone can help / give advice regarding this but...

In February 2017, I was diagnosed with MS. Fast forward to eleven weeks ago on February 14, 2018 (of all days)I had a complete hysterecetomy. This hysterectomy was sudden, as uterine cancer had been discovered. (My mother had died from uterine cancer.) Thankfully it was caught in the early stages, and requires no further treatment.

My main issue with MS has always been leg weakness, more than anything else. The first 3 weeks after surgery I was feeling great and getting around reasonably well. The next day, (22nd day) I bottomed out with severe leg weakness, aka bedridden for almost a week and the weakness has been up, down, and all around since then. It's now 11 eleven weeks after the surgery.

I read numerous other posts re hysterectomy experiences, but none seem to be like mine. Mine may be more profound / intense as I had a day surgery just 4 months earlier to remove a benign parotid tumor, that ironically was discovered the same time as my MS, in a MRI scan. So I basically had 2 surgeries within 4.5 months.

I've contacted my MS Clinic, a few times, and they say I have to give it extra time, especially since its two surgeries in less than half a year. Not that the 2nd one was elective... cancer is cancer. They say I've basically been hit by a truck twice... give it more than the average time for recovery. Do not really have a choice.

Has anyone else been through similar, or knows of anyone who has? Is there a 'light at the end of this tunnel' so to speak? Thanks for any input!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 20th, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Yes,there should be more than year interval between
surgical intervention to minimise stress exposure as stress can exacerbate MS.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Multiple Sclerosis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.