Hi, I''ve been diagnosed with mono after my doctors have looked at my mouth. I am experiencing huge swollen gums and sores on my lip and tongue. I''m wondering what I could do to reduce the irritation and pain, as I cannot eat and can barely drink anything. The doctors said that they cannot do anything for my mouth at all, and to just tough it out, but I am convinced that there has to be something I can do, as I am not getting barely any calories (I''ve managed to eat some jello every day, but no more than a single cup of jello, I feel bloated afterwards, but still hungry.) And water seems to irritate the cold sores on my tongue, making it impossible to rest my tongue anywhere in my mouth without pain. I was told to use Cloraseptic spray for sore throat, and swish it around my mouth to numb it, but when I experience gum pain it seems like it is under the gums, and this does not help at all. Everywhere else in my mouth seems to hurt when any pressure is put on the gums at all. Also, I am having trouble sleeping on my sides (Which is the position I feel most comfortable sleeping in) as I tend to drool everywhere because of how swollen my gums are, and I do not wish for cold sores to enter my nose or eyes. I''m wondering if other people have experienced this and if it has gone away naturally. Warm Salt Water rinses are so painful that its ridiculous. On a scale of 1 being slightly uncomfortable and 10 being completely unbearable Its around a 15. I literally burst into tears and almost faint when trying to swish this way.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper BrianC101
|

replied April 30th, 2010
My gums have also started to bleed pretty badly.
|

replied January 15th, 2013
Mono and Mouth sores.
I have the same thing right now :c
Sucks so bad.
|

replied June 13th, 2013
I found that Advil helps with the swelling and lessen the sore throat so that you can eat a little more and it takes time for the sores to go awayI had mine for a few weeks on one side of my mouth week or so after they cleared up I got them on the other side.
|

replied December 3rd, 2013
I am experiencing the exact same thing, I have been taking Vitamin C supplement drops & they seem to be lessening the swelling a bit.. But I am still in a lot of pain. The salt water solute has been getting rid of my canker sores for a short time but they keep coming back.. I don't really know what to do at this point. I need to start going back to school & work but not being able to eat anything, making it difficult to concentrate & hard to not be light headed I don't see that happening any time soon. Not only that but I can't take pills, I have such bad anxiety & my throat/mouth is swollen as all hell so haven't taken any medicine since I went to the doctor, the liquid hurts my gums & doesn't effect them in the slightest. I don't know what to do
|

replied December 4th, 2013
I went back to my doctor & she prescribed Oragel to help with the gum pain & the canker sores, it really helps in combination with the advil
|

replied March 4th, 2018
ouch
I'm going to the doc tomorrow and I have had mono before... grrrr sore throat .. body aches and cant get out of bed so I would say its gonna be pos for mono... But I woke up this am and half of my upper lip was swollen and hurt.. cant see a sore but it looks like my husband sucker punched me lol .. I don't know if the headache or the sore throat hurts more.. but has anyone else have the lip thing?.. I have never seen it before. oh and my whole mouth is on fire esp the back of my tounge ... this is just the icing on top of the sore throat with the red bumps on my tonsils and the roof of my mouth.. and the little sores on my gums and inside my cheeks.. but the lip thing hurts!!!!!!!
|
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....