User Profile
Hi my boyfriend has been sick the past couple of days and has been throwing up a lot of blood. He went to the hospital where they didnt really check him all they did was blood and urine samples and sent him home with anti nausea pills. That same day he again started throwing up blood. He now is getting a slight fever and is complaining that he feels weird and his head hurts. I called the Dr. and they said its most likely an abdominal tear but there is no noticable swelling or bruising in his abdominal area. He is complaining of sharp pains in the upper part of his abdomen.He doesn't drink, do drugs or smoke. He was completely fine up until 3 days ago when this started. help please about a year ago I was in the hospital do to Meningitis due to the fact that the Dr. I went to see and the hospital were not doing the proper test required to check.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 7th, 2011
Abdominal Pain Answer A19405
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth forum!

Smoking, alcohol use, gastritis, acidity, tumors of stomach and food pipe, bleeding gastric ulcer, cancer of stomach, erosion of lining of food pipe, bleeding veins at esophageal (food pipe) sphincters etc all cause vomiting of blood. This can be fresh red if coming from a place above the stomach. It can be brown or coffee colored if coming from the stomach. Tumors of the oral cavity, pyorrhea or pus in gums and Vitamin C deficiency can cause bleeding from mouth, which if ingested can result in vomiting.

The other possibility is that your boy friend is coughing up blood. This can be due to bronchitis or pneumonia, lung cancers (especially in smokers), tuberculosis, bronchiectasis, pulmonary embolism, or fungal and other infections.

Discuss these possibilities with your doctor. A comprehensive investigation is required keeping all the points in mind. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.