Medical Questions > Parenting > Kids Health and Pediatrics Forum

4 mos old doesn't poop, suspect hirschprung disease

User Profile
my son does not poop when he was 3 weeks old. now he was 4 month old. still now he does not poop. we done a x-ray. x-ray report suspect hirschprung disease. now dr tell to do biopsy. i am too much wooried about this.
x-ray report says –

CONTRAST ENEMA

large gut is outlined by contrast up to cecum without any obstruction or hold up any where.

no evidence of any filling defect noted.

there is dilatation of vesible colon, minimal coining at terminal end of rectum without narrowing at recto sigmoid junction.

small amount of contest seen at rectum after 24 hours film.

findings are suggestive of magacolon suspected of early manifestation of hirschprung disease.

please tell me is he has HD? I don’t want to do surgery my little boy. I’m too scared. Does here any alternatives of surgery if he has HD?

My son was premature baby. At 34 weeks pregnancy. His birth weight is 2 kg. now he is 5.5 kg in his 4 month old. First 3 month weight increased 1 kg per month. Now his growth become slow. Last 1 week he refused to eat. Become weak day by day. After birth 2 month he has huge gas problem. Now gas problem sloved. He does not vomiting first 3 month last 2 weeks he start vomiting sometimes. His belly is swollen first 2 month now his belly is not swollen. We use suppository. He has taken milk of magnesia for 2 month. After eating milk of magnesia he poop by himself after 2 or 3days. Sometimes his poop is normal sometimes hard after eating milk of magnesia.his eating was normal for 3 months before 1 weeks he eats small amount and sleep maximum time.

Is his symptoms suspect HD?

If surgery is must how much time will take to recover him? What is the future of HD patient?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 21st, 2014
Kids Health and Pediatrics Answer A48859
Hi,
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

I can understand your concern for your child's symptoms. From the imaging report which suspects megacolon, hirschsprung's disease is a likely possibility.

Typically, Hirschsprung's disease is diagnosed shortly after birth but can present in childhood before the age of 10 and in adults even. Children often present with chronic constipation, swollen belly, gas and failure to gain weight.

Children who have Hirschsprung's disease are prone to a serious infection of the intestines called enterocolitis. Hence it is important that you consult a pediatric gastroenterologist and get the diagnosis confirmed so that early treatment can be planned. A suction biopsy of the distally narrowed segment is the confirmatory test.

Unfortunately there are no drugs and surgery is the only definitive treatment. Surgery involves surgical removal (resection) of the abnormal section of the colon, followed by reanastomosis. Recovery may take few days but depends on every child and may even run in weeks. Prognosis is good but some children may take a bit longer for toilet training and chronic constipation may follow even after surgery.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kids Health and Pediatrics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.