Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Months of pain, Doctors have no clue?

To start this off, here is some information about me.
I am 17 years old, turning 18 soon. I am 165lbs (although I was 130lbs last April, stress caught up to me.)
I am 5'8 (and three fourths). I am on my feet at work, lifting things, walking around, cleaning, etc. Otherwise, I lay around a lot.
I eat badly. My mom doesn't cook, so we go out a lot. My diet consists of snack foods, cereal, meats, french fries, and fast food, with the occasional apple or bag of carrots here and there.

Now, onto the problem.
About two years ago, I started experiencing random pain. It was all over my belly. Sometimes it was above the belly button, sometimes right above my hip, sometimes in the center, center left, etc. It was never in the same spot.
I saw a doctor, he diagnosed me with IBS. Meds didn't help, so I saw another doctor. A stomach doctor, specifically.
He gave me medicines for heartburn and IBS and such, which didn't help. When I called him in one morning, he told me to stop faking and go to school.
Went to my moms Gastro, he took out my gallbladder.
Pain resided for about 2 months. Then it was back.
We figured if not stomach-related, then possibly reproductive organ related. Doc was convinced of endometriosis. Nothing.
Back to stomach doctor, I had multiple scans. I had an MRI, i think? of my abdomen. I just remember I had to drink some barium water or whatever, so I'm not sure if it was an MRI. I also had a catscan. They found nothing, and this doctor also agreed it was in my head.
Multiple hospital visits, multiple scans, multiple doctors, no answer.

I have been keeping a food log and it is very scattered.
Ice cream hurts, but not in small amounts (i work at an ice cream shop.)
Burgers hurt all the time. Fried rice hurts 50%, as well as fast food.
Pulled pork sandwiches hurt like hell. They were my favorite. So was pizza. ):
PB&J hurts, but hurts less when I have chips.
Snack foods hardly ever hurt. etc etc.

Im at a loss here. At this point, the doctors are making me feel crazy. Regular medication doesn't help, so they've put me on hydrocodone to use sparingly for the pain. (ive had my 30 pills for 6 months, not an addict)
It is honestly becoming so unbearable. I can hardly go anywhere with friends or family without hurting.
It's only when I eat. It is not due to stress or anxiety, as it happens on even the best of days, or mornings wherein nothing has happened.
Every time I eat, I hurt.
I need some guidance.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 17th, 2014
Hi, Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

With all the imaging investigations coming out normal, the symptoms can be due to irritable bowel syndrome. IBS is called a diagnosis of exclusion, which means that a doctor considers many other alternatives first, perhaps performing tests to rule out other problems.

Treatment includes addition of more fiber in your diet,cessation of smoking and taking stress,antispasmodic medicines,antidiarrheal medicines,antidepressants and new medicines like Alosetron (Lotronex) and Tegaserod (Zelnorm).

you should get it checked from a gastroenterologist and gynecologist also. Endometriosis is not always visible on an ultrasound and a diagnostic laparoscopy may be needed.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and regards.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.