Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

9 Months of Hell (My Gallbladder Rant)

I need to know I'm not alone out here; I am a 21 year old female and I believe I need my gallbladder removed.

Symptoms:
I cannot eat a thing without throwing up (also heave bile id I don't eat at all), I experience constant seering pain in my right side a little under my rib that only eases occasionally but never goes away (can sometimes feel it in my shoulder blade), and experience constant cramping, gas and diarrhea.

Reason to believe:
I have a family history of this, and my hormone levels have recently elevated due to the discovery of my hypothyroid; I take tricyclin and levo-thyroxide.

I have tried many medications and adjusted my diet (even to B.R.A.T) but nothing helps to even ease the vomiting. I have been seeing doctors for months trying to find out why this is happening. I will try to leave out my dissatification with them but this is progression of my situation:

October 23rd 2009: I begin vomiting at least once a day. I figured I had the flu.
Novemeber 18th 2009: I am diagnosed with Bronchitis and banned from work (apparently I am not eligable for EI or anything else so my folks help cover my bills).
December 25th 2009: Discover my mother, grandmother and grandaunt all had to have their gallbladders removed for the same symptoms. Vomiting and breathing have worsened with addition of muscle pains (visited the ER several times but was sent home.)
January 21st 2010: Have an Ultrasound (only a fatty liver found). The procedure was excruciatingly painful as they preformed the procedure (I literally tore up the sheet on the bed). From this date I begin experiencing the seering pain in my right side (hasn't left since).
March 2010: Diagnosed with a bad allergy to dustmites and will begin immunization when I can afford it (to this date have not made enough money to cover my bills/food/rent until I am cured of my other problems.)
April 6th 2010: I have an Upper Endoscopy with nothing found. Doctor tells me to take Nexium (which my family doctor already told me not to take because it was making a lump in my throat.)
April 30th 2010: Must return to work (parents can no longer support me.)
July 20th 2010: After occasional check ups my Doctor finally arranges catscan while informing me my iron levels are very low.
August 9th 2010: I have my Catscan.
August 12th: I recieve a phone call from my doctor saying the scan showed Diverticulosis (which is good to know) but doesn't explain the vomiting and pain. My gallbladder was not shown; an appointment is set for the 16th to discuss my results. After researching it, I will be asking my doctor for several tests such as an MRI for my gallbladder.

Results:
My symptoms continue. I have lost 40 pounds (with a hypothyroid), my hair is literally going grey from vomiting and I have to take tylenol every 4 hours in order to function. I continue to get low hours at work due to my illness. I have told my doctors at EVERY appointment about how much Tylenol I have to take, and their response is if I am in that much pain I should go to ER, but I have been to the ER several times and they always tell me there's a problem but it's not immediate enough to fix so they send me home. I'm scared that my liver is being seriously damaged and am constently having fits if crying. I don't remeber what it's like to NOT be sore.

I'm not asking for a miracle by posting this, I just merely needed to express what's been happening to me and hope that anyone out there with a similar situation can take aid in knowing they're not alone . . .
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 16th, 2010
You might consider asking your doctor to order a CCK-HIDA scan to rule-out biliary dyskinesia (the symptoms of which are nearly identical to gallstones). Chronic pancreatitis is another illness that needs to be ruled-out if your CCK-HIDA scan is normal.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied August 17th, 2010
I had my appointment yesterday; my doctor is going to try and arrange a Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) but not an HIDA or MRI. He also said I shouldn't worry about the amount of Tylenol I'm taking because a person can take 3000mg a day and I'm only taking 2500-3000mg a day. The Catscan said it found nothing remarkable but Sigmoid Diverticulosis (which wont be treated). Does this mean my gallbladder is not the issue?
|

replied August 18th, 2010
Will having the ERCP help to rule out Biliary Dyskinesia or do I need to convince my doctor to do a HIDA scan? He has already denied the request.
|
Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.