Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Broken Bones Forum

3 months after 5 th meterstarsal break still in lots of pain

I broke my 5th metertarsal on 26/12/11 I went the fracture clinc 26/1/12 and the fracture was all healed. I have been out of the cast since 17/2/12.

Now my query is I am still in a lot of pain with my ankle and on the pad bit under my little toe and toe next to it

The ankle pain is like a needle being stabbed in it and feels like there is like string cupping over my ankle bone, the pain isn't constant but happens when I walk or try to walk

The pain on pads of toes is a numb/pins and needles pain. It's often a sharp pain that happens from touch.

Is this normal?

I have been to my gp and she didn't know what it was and has referred me to physio.

Can anyone shed any light on this pain?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 26th, 2012
Did you have surgery? The ankle weakness may be due to wearing the cast. Some muscle atrophy as well. It sounds like a nerve might have gotten involved with the numbness and pins/needles. Nerves do regenerate but they take a long time.
Physio will help.
|

replied March 26th, 2012
Thanks for the reply, no I didn't have surgery luckily.

I suppose I will have to stick it out till I get my physio appointment, hope I won't have to wait long.

It is a long road for total recovery.
|

replied March 27th, 2012
Yes it is. I broke my left ankle, actually a bimalleolar fracture 5 years ago. Had surgery with the pins and screws-the darth vader walking boot, the hard ankle brace, and the soft ankle brace. I was on Norco 5 times a day for pain control plus Lyrica 75 mg twice a day. I have weaned myself off those meds but broke my pinkie toe 16March and went back to the walking boot just for support. Can't wear regular shoe yet. Have no job and no insurance to go to MD. Oh well, everybody has it bad in some manner. Hope you feel better soon!
|