hi all looking for advice I am 26 year old male just recently returned from travelling Australia, I ended up really constipated around Christmas time and didn't pass stool for around 3 weeks, I didn't know what was happening but now know it was down to bad diet basically eating crap constantly, I ended up getting piles about 1 month later and passing blood then about 3 weeks later 1 grew around the size of a grape the pain was unbearable and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, so i began eating alot of fibre to help, anyways the pain went after about 5-6 days but the lump was still there and hard I got some treatment for it anusol which to be honest didn't do anything, after about another month it eventually shrunk in size but now there I was I can only describe as a skin flap/tag sort of like a empty pile bag hanging out, also a little bit blood appears now and then when I go to the toilet, its got me really worried lately as its been 6 month! and its still not right, so I have now made an appointment at the doctor to see what he recommends, so embarrassing... has anyone any advice or suffered similar? thanks in advance J
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 12th, 2018
Hi, and thanks for your query on eHealth forum!

There are hemorrhoidal creams available in the market which you can apply. Often they have a pain killer gel in them. If there is no pain killer in them, you can buy xylocaine jelly and apply it gently on the outside of the anal opening. Wait for 5 minutes and gently apply slightly into the opening. You can then apply the hemorrhoidal cream. Sit in a tub of warm water for 10 mins at least twice a day. Reapply the hemorrhoidal cream after this.

Increase fiber in your diet. Eat lots of fresh fruits, vegetables, oats, porridge etc. Good sources of fiber are fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. In addition you can try bulk stool softener such as psyllium or methylcellulose. Remember too much of fiber and not proportionate increase in fluid can also cause constipation.

Consult your doctor regarding this. Most doctors can diagnose hemorrhoids by clinical examination of the anal opening or by proctoscopy (inserting a proctoscope, an instrument to visualize the anal mucosa better). If all these measures fail, you will need banding or surgery—either conventional or laser. You should ideally consult a colo-rectal surgeon for this.

Please consult your healthcare provider for further guidance. This reply to your query is just for education and counseling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit and treatment by a doctor who can examine you. Hope this helped you in making an informed decision about your health. Take care!

Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Diet
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hemorrhoids , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.