Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

12 month old who won't eat

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
I hope you can help me here.
My son just turned 12months on the 15th of March. He really hasn't been a very good eater since starting him on solids at 6 months.
He has a hard time with coarse and textured foods and it seems that if anything too large gets in his mouth it gets caught in his throat and then he vomits everything. This happens ALOT...
I have had to just continue him on the baby food jars...tonight I pureed carrots, mashed potatoes and a little piece of fish...he hardly ate anything.

He is only 17.5lbs...
I dont know what to do to get him to eat....
I am SICK of the baby food jars...and when he does eat, he'll only take maybe 4 or 5 spoonfuls...but he loves his milk and the pediatrician told me I was giving him too much milk..
I am weaning him off breastmilk (he takes it from a bottle) so I have been giving 1/w b.milk and 1/2 whole milk and I think what was happening was he was drinking too much milk before meals and getting full...so today I kept his milk away and he ate well at breakfast but then at dinner he ate poorly.

Am I doing anything wrong?
Has anyone else had this problem?
The pediatrician told me to try supplementing him with PediaSure--has anyone used that?
Please any encouragement that my child is NOT a failure to thrive child ...please???...
Thank you.
Sue.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper susie3827
|

User Profile
replied April 14th, 2008
Community Volunteer
17.5 lbs isn't a bad weight for your baby. I would say that as long as he is happy and sleeping well, just let him be. I know you are sick of the baby jars, but if that's what he wants, let him have it. If he likes milk, let him drink it, because at least something is going in his tummy. I have had this problem with my son and to tell you the truth, we were still giving him second food jars even when he was over 18 months old and I HATED it. Not only that, I had to buy out all the surrounding stores because he would only eat ONE kind! We would try giving him both regular food and jars at every meal. Eventually he would eat the regular food. For a while he was better at walking around and eating than he was sitting down. Sitting down was just too boring.

Thankfully he is off having jars all the time and hasn't had one in a long time. He just turned 2 and he eats just like everyone else. Some kids are just more picky than others and some just don't want to make that transition.

I don't think you have a "failure to thrive" child. All because he isn't a really heavy baby doesn't mean that that isn't the right weight for him either. I will tell you too that all my kids...all 6 of them...never reached 20 lbs until after they were a year old. So don't worry too much. The point is that he is a healthy and happy little boy.

Also if you chart out what he eats and what he doesn't, you may see a pattern. Sometimes kids and babies cluster feed...they will eat a lot and then a little and then nothing and then make up for not eating that much again later. It might take a month of charting to see exactly where his pattern is, but he is probably getting just what he needs Smile
|

replied April 14th, 2008
Experienced User
Thanks so much for the reply. You have made me feel alot easier.
You're right about him being happy though..he is that..and he poops well, and sleeps well and has alot of energy so I guess he is getting what he needs.

It's just when people say "oh..can I give him a banana"..and I have to say NO..he doen't eat that..he can't ...he can't even eat scrambled eggs without choking and vomiting.

Oh well, I'll keep with the baby food jars for now.
Thanks again. I appreciate the reply.
Sue.
|

replied March 3rd, 2009
How is he doing now?
Hi. I have recently read your post and wondered how your son's eating has progressed over the past year. My son is 12 months' old and has GERD with associated food aversion. He refuses to eat most of the time but occasionally will eat small portions of baby food. He does not particularly crave milk either. I would be grateful for your advice!
|

replied March 21st, 2009
if your chield vomitting
i am a mother of 2 babys the gap between the babies are 13 months. my son is now 16 months old. from the very begining when i started giving solid foods at the age of 7 months he disliked to take, and vomets. i can say in a total month, 15 days he takes food without vometing n 15 days vomets before or after taking food. now he is 16 months n he start coughing when he see the preparation of feeding. it might be spycological effect, n when i started giving him food he vomets. previously i was helpless n stop feeding. but now am feeding him immedeately after vometing simonteniously concerntrating his mind towards toys n other inresting things. now he is taking foods n some times vomets but not regularly.his weight is now 15kg. am giving him boiled papaya, rice, dal, carrot, bread, cakes, paneer,etc.
|

replied March 24th, 2009
12 month old baby boy
Hello all.
I have a 12 monthm old boy who just turned 1 year on march 21, 2009. He is not a big eater. He only weights 17.5 pounds but he is 30 inches tall. He doesnt take whole milk at all, but drinks his formula which I am not happy with the results. We took cereal for some time really good, but now refused it. I actually have to walk and carry him for him to eat something. Sad Please help ......
|

User Profile
replied March 25th, 2009
Community Volunteer
I had that same problem with a younger child. I had to carry her for her to eat.

Formula is still ok at 12 months. They make formula for children over one year as well. If you want him to start on whole milk, you can try adding a mixture of milk and formula to his bottle or sippy cup so that he becomes accustomed to the taste. I have also heard of some moms putting in a small amount of chocolate or strawberry milk in the whole milk to make it more enticing at first, and then taking it out once the child was used to milk.

I think the bottom line here is that he will eat if he is hungry. Make the food available to him, give him a variety of foods that he can choose for himself. He might not want to sit down for meals, especially if he is very mobile. If he knows that you will bend over backwards for him, then he is going to take advantage of that, so should probably stop what could become a bad habit.
|

replied May 9th, 2009
13 month old baby boy
i have the same problem with my son, b4 he was a good eater but now he barely eats... i took him to his doc but he wasn't concerned at all. bcoz he only look on his growth chart...but doesn't understand how stressfull and concerning it is for me... and he barely drink his milk, i have to give him milk every 2 hours otherwise he will get dehydrated... i need help!!!!
|

replied January 5th, 2010
Why wont my 12mth old sleep or eat?
I am to worried about my 12mnth old baby girl, she does not sleep well at all and barely eats. She has a slice of toast and a banana for breakfast but then for the rest of the day wont touch a thing besides a bite here and there.
She does not cry for food either but is very whiney all day.
iam so lost my eldest was never a problem with food.

This one however does not sleep or eat i feel like a failure... please help!!
|

replied March 31st, 2010
12 month old boy not interested in food
My 12 month old boy (bday 3/25/09) barely eats as well. He has never been into anything but breast milk, and when he's teething he eats even less. I prepare all kinds of foods for him, and end up offering it several times and then having to throw it away. He sometimes likes jarred food, but I end up throwing most away as well. Lately I've been giving him greek plain yogurt, since it's high in fat and protein...he likes it and will eat a couple of tablespoons at a time (which is a lot for him). We are going to ask for advice at his next appt...need some kind of supplementation and new techniques. I also am bending over backwards, trying anything and everything to get him to eat. He is just not interested. It is so frustrating.
|

replied April 24th, 2010
I have the same problem with my 12 month old. All he will eat is baby food. if I give him anything solid he gags and gets choked. He also wont take a sippy cup. And all he will drink from his bottle is formual. we have had problems with him eating from day one. He is lactose intolerate and can only have soy formula. It has been crazy with him this first year.
|

replied May 3rd, 2010
Hi Everyone,
Just after a small amount of advise.... my son is about to turn 1 in May. We started solid feeding him a 4 month's old because he was such a hungry baby and he loved all types of food. But in the past few week's we are struggling to get him to eat a piece of toast. He has gone from having 3 meals a day with 3 bottles in between these meals. He still seem's happy and healthy but it is really starting to worry me. How can I get my son to eat his solid meals again?
|

User Profile
replied May 10th, 2010
Trick for treat
My 12 month old is also and has always been a picky eater. He transitioned to rice cereal with no problem and then to the stages gerber food and did great. I put him on small portions of big boy food like raisin toast and bananas in addition to the gerber food until he was eventually off of jar food. Well now he went from eating big boy food to not wanting to eat and turning his head from side to side and spitting food out. I couldn''t figure out for the longest time what to do. I did try two techniques that seemed to work for us. We would either give him one of his Tonka trucks to play with while in his chair and we would slip food into his mouth while he was concentrating on his truck. We''d get through 1/2 his food before he realized what was going on. Also giving him a spoon to chew on while we fed him also works.
|

replied June 13th, 2010
pediasure works well, but i still cant get the boy to eat anythi
pediasure works well. it helped my baby at 7 months while he was teething and still works when he doesnt have the mood to eat. but getting him to eat is a big problem. he just crawls away when i try to feed him and if i force then ofcourse he vomits....its difficult to feed him now that he is one
|

replied October 25th, 2010
my baby is 1 and i am trying to feed him baby cereals as alot of people say their babies have cherris and that, but my 1 year old will only have porridge, also he used to eat a whole 7 month jar no problem then a satge 3 jar for dinner but doesnt have very much for either since a couple of weeks ago, and if i try him on other new foods he just wont have it, and hate keep giving him jar foods, he also cant drink from a sippy cup he just shakes it, so i give him a bottle beacause it orries me if he doesnt have his milk? help
|

replied October 25th, 2010
my baby is 1 and i am trying to feed him baby cereals as alot of people say their babies have cherris and that, but my 1 year old will only have porridge, also he used to eat a whole 7 month jar no problem then a satge 3 jar for dinner but doesnt have very much for either since a couple of weeks ago, and if i try him on other new foods he just wont have it, and hate keep giving him jar foods, he also cant drink from a sippy cup he just shakes it, so i give him a bottle beacause it orries me if he doesnt have his milk? help
|

replied February 2nd, 2012
MY SON suddenly wont eat
My 12 months old boy has been a great eater, suddenly he has been not wanting to almost anything... I dont understand and i worry so much... Is this just a phase he is going through... My daughter who is 4 now has been terrible eater, so i was happy that my son ate anything and everything and now suddenly he doesnt want to eat... Help please
|