Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

10 month menstrual cycle?

I'm a heavier set girl, I've struggled with my weight all my life, and it doesn't help I come from a long line of family members who are over the weight of 200 lbs before they reach the age of 20. I'm young, 18, 19 this year, and with the stress of starting a business and trying to get into post secondary, as well as my inability to adapt a regular sleeping cycle and my love for doing most of my work after midnight, I've unfortunately gained a LOT of weight, clocking in at 350 lbs the last time I checked.

Last year, at the end of October of 2013, I started on my cycle like normal... only to have it never stop. I thought it was stress, because a few months before, I was so incredibly stressed, my period didn't occur for 3 months. I thought this was my body's way of acting out and "getting back" at me for my inability to appropriately deal with my stress.

In February of 2014, after 4 months of non-stop bleeding, I went to the doctor and he sent me for an ultrasound, which yielded no results on a technicality on the technicians part. The one who did my ultrasound was looking for growths and reported nothing was found, whereas my doctor wanted images of my uterus to see things for himself, so he got no images. He prescribed me 30 pills of 100mg Prometrium/Progesterone, and I'm going onto my last 10 pills at the end of this month. (It took me a few months to get the pills because I lost the prescription, so don't worry, I have been taking the pills as prescribed).

So far, the pills haven't given me any results. The bleeding goes from average flow to extremely heavy and then back again with HUGE clots, it just depends on the week. Sometimes I have really light flow but that's rare, as I've always naturally had a heavier flow, even during my normal periods. But all of this non-stop bleeding is not only eating a HUGE whole into my already empty wallet because of all the constant pads and tampons I need to buy, but is causing extreme fatigue and irritability, is chipping away at my social life, and is creating more stress for me. It also doesn't help that a lot of women I've talked to with this problem often need to get a hysterectomy to solve this, and that would just destroy me, as I'm looking forward to getting older and starting a family, maybe having a kid or a million. Lol.

I want to know what peoples thoughts are on this? My only answer for this is because I weigh so much, my body is producing too much oestrogen and causing my period to be non-stop, and no amounts of Progesterone can counteract it. My mother and I have been clapping out ideas like weight loss surgery, because it's so difficult for me to lose weight, and I'm willing to take out a loan from my bank for medical purposes to have the surgery done. I'm just so tired of bleeding, and it's really starting to stress and depress me, especially the idea of needing a hysterectomy.

So, what do you think?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 20th, 2014
Hi,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

Since you are overweight and going by your symptoms, PCOS should be ruled out. PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) is a relatively common hormonal disorder and it causes a number of different symptoms in women of reproductive age. Common to all women with PCOS is an irregularity in the menstrual cycle and the presence of excess male hormones (androgens). Menstrual cycles may be normal at first and then gradually become irregular, or the onset of menses may be delayed.

Diagnostic tests are 2 hr GTT,serum androgen and testosterone levels,LH-FSH ratio,prolactin levels,TSH levels,17-hydroxyprogesterone levels and 3D ultrasound.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and regards.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.