Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Spleen Forum

Mononucleosis and an enlarged spleen

User Profile
Hello, I was recently in the emergency room and they sent me home saying that I don't have mono, nothing is wrong with my blood work, or urine test, or chest xray, but my spleen is enlarged, I need to know what could be wrong then? I'm confused to why my spleen is enlarged but they had no reason for it.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 23rd, 2010
Spleen Answer A11430
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know why the spleen is enlarged during mononucleosis.

Mononucleosis (also known as mono) is a viral infection caused by the Epstein-Barr virus. This virus is transmitted through the saliva. It affects the immune system by weakening it. It is characterized with the following symptoms: fatigue, fever, headache, loss of appetite, night sweats, skin rash, soft, swollen spleen, sore throat, swollen lymph nodes, tonsilitis and weakness. The main place in the human body where the white cells are destroyed in conditions with or without infection is the spleen. The spleen is sensitive to touch and may easily rupture during exercise or palpation.

According to the data that you described, you may be experiencing mono. You may need to take antibiotics for treatment of the additional secondary bacterial infections. There is no antiviral treatment for mononucleosis. Because individuals experience hepatitis and enlarged AST and ALT liver enzymes, they should take medications that favor the regeneration of the liver tissue. Consider avoiding any exercise or any other contact within a month from the diagnosis of mono ( a home quarantine) to prevent yourself from complications and additional bacterial infections.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Got pain under your left side ribs? Is your left abdomen swollen or tender to touch? You might be dealing with a problem related to the spleen!...
Certain diseases can cause the spleen to swell to several times its normal size. Learn the signs and symptoms of spleen problems here....
An enlarged spleen is the result of an underlying disorder. What spleen disorders do doctors consider during diagnosis? What tests do they use?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Spleen , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.