Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Mononucleosis Forum

Mono update at 6 months (Page 1)

User Profile
I'll give you the short version on my experience with mono to save on time.
I'll save you the detail of how horrible of an experience this has been.
Anyway, was feeling out of sorts for the first 3 weeks of November, I finally went from being feverish/tired to flat out sick, I mean really sick.
This prompted me to the ER which then led me to a 3 day hospital stay where I got my mono diagnosis. As it went, I started to feel slightly better a few days after getting out of the hospital..I actually felt ok, except being a little tired for 2 weeks, and then I relapsed hard and became just as sick as I was before, if not more.
This relapse lasted around 2 weeks and slowly subsided around the beginning of January.
Now to get to the point:
I considered everything after that relapse to be recovery phase, meaning for the last 4 months I've had symptoms off and on, but I've been much, much better but not out of the woods yet. And all my blood work has been normal since December.
My main symptoms during recovery have been fatigue and malaise.
Good days/Bad days that came and went and I even recently had a good 8 days in a row that I felt completely normal, that's a personal record!
So I thought I was really beating this thing.
Anyway
Here's my problem, the last few days I've felt weak in the legs, dizzy, no appetite and getting the chills. The reason this bothers me is I haven't had these symptoms since I was in the acute phase. So I'm deathly afraid I might be relapsing again because these specific symptoms.

My question is do you thinking I'm relapsing or are these just more residual symptoms. Shouldn't my body have made enough antibodies to prevent a full blown attack again? Our has anyone had a similar experience they thought they were relapsing but didn't???
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 20th, 2010
Any updates? how are you doing now?

let us know
thanks alot!
|

User Profile
replied November 23rd, 2010
Experienced User
Yes, doing much better..Thanks!
|

do you still have the relapses?

Ive had mono 11 months and
started recovering 5 months in.

So for the past 6 months its been getting better and better

but now its to the point were I'm just about 100% for 2 weeks then
I get a relapse for 5-6 days were I'm nauseous and my body hurts a little bit.

if i look back it really has gotten alot better
but i seem to still get relapses

what I'm asking is are you back to normal yet?.
you read all this stuff on here about people that are so sick for months or a year
and they never come back on to let people know how they are doing!!
witch tells me then they are recovered and have no need to talk about mono anymore.

any help/info would be much much appreciated
Thanks agian
|

User Profile
Experienced User
ya, not many people come back to update after they recovered...I noticed that too. One thing I can say, is the get better, relapse, get better, relapse..Is pretty normal..That's exactly what happened to me..But each time it would be less severe and go longer in between each relapses. It's been 13 months for me, and

I can say I'm pretty much recovered..I get some minor residuals here and there, but nothing major..For the most part I'm back to my old self...But it took at least the first 6 months before I was somewhat ok, then the whole summer to get to where I am today..
Sounds like you got the same deal..Trust me, you're at the tail end. Don't let the occasional relapse worry you..They come and go, but you'll 100% soon enough.
|

replied May 12th, 2017
Hey Sporque,
Reading your about your experience with mono has been SO helpful, thank you for sharing!
I am going on 4 months after being diagnosed with mono and am experiencing the recover and relapse part. I was feeling pretty ok and then BOOM, the dreaded mono symptoms...
Anyway, I haven't heard any talk about people suffering for liver problems? Initially I had liver pain/swelling feeling on my right side with high liver enzymes in my blood work. It has since gone down with my last test a month ago. However, I started feeling the swelling/sharp pains again on my side as well as general tiredness. I already am super prone to anxiety about my health so I'm sure that's not helping but I was wondering if you had any liver symptoms with mono as well?
|

replied November 24th, 2010
Thanks alot for the help!
makes me feel 100% better

how is your energy after all this ?
i dont seem to have to much energy but that could
also be from not doing much for 11 months lol!

im 21 (male) and i do alot of biking,skiing
alot of extreme sports so im hopeing after getting back out
there my energy will be better after time.

being nauseous seems to be whats left now
did that get better for you to?

This has sucked big time but life goes on
just makes us stronger in the end!
im just happy im at the end of it!

Agian thanks for all the info/help
nice to have someone undateing us!
|

replied December 28th, 2010
??
|

replied January 31st, 2011
Hey
Im a new user. I felt my first symptoms of vertigo in the middle of December. I had my first nausea feeling December 29th. My first fever and rapid heart beat happened January 5th. I got tested for Mono a week later and it came out positive. Here we are just starting Febuary and I have lost 10 pounds and feel horrible. My God this is the worst virus ever. I too was in the ER cause I thought I was having a heart attack..
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Keep trucking along caf4e16, things will get better. I remember thinking I would never be healthy again. But I pretty much better. Just don't forget to take it easy, even when you think your recovered. Mono is notorious for relapses.
|

Thanks sporque this site and these forums are my hope! lol
|

replied March 28th, 2011
Hey Sporque,

Just wondering how your energy is?
do you feel like your old self ?

mine is good for the most part
but i seem to get tired out from time to time
it mostly happens when i have a little relapse
|

replied March 28th, 2011
Hi,

I'm in 7th month with mono, dizziness, nausea, anxiety are almost completly gone but I still get this dreadful extreme fatigue and malaise feeling like having a flu. In the begining of march I started to get some almost back to normal days and then I relapsed with extreme fatigue again. Everday is different, one day malaise, next day fatigue then weakness. Did your recovery was like this also? It is so frustrating, I thought I was almost recovered.
|

replied March 28th, 2011
Hey Art99,

I’ve had mono for about 14 months
at about the 6-7 months mark i started to get better slowly…
then it has taken the last 7 months to get where i am now witch is pretty much back to normal other then relapse here and there. it will come and go till your 100% better. every time i get a relapse its not as bad as the last one i would say I’m about 85% back to my old self.
hope it helps
|

replied March 28th, 2011
Yes it helps a lot! Maybe it is slowly getting better - before march I was feeling feeling sick all the time and I didn't get any good days at all. What freaks me out is this chronic fatigue that some people are talking about that lingers forever. I can't stop wondering what this virus is doing to our bodies that we feel so bad.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied May 27th, 2011
Just A quick update 16 months in I still get relapse
but they are not even close to as bad as they use to be.
I still get a little nauseous from time to time i would say thats the worst thing that i have left to deal with for now.

Im 6'2 before mono I weighed 180 lbs. when i had mono i went down to 154 lbs!!! So i lost about 26 lbs with mono

today I am 175 lbs so its nice to be just about back to were i was before all of this stuff!

Im getting better but it sure takes its time!
any updates from anyone else would be cool!
|

replied June 15th, 2011
2 years of this?!
My story...I was 26 when I first felt sick.

My duration was short at the beginning and 2.5 years later, after 8 times of getting "the flu" I was finally tested for Mono this December.
I read somewhere, that 1 out of 10 people with Mono can get it again and again, but I have not found much for how I feel after the initial sickness of Mono.

The first two weeks felt the same as all the other times but after my symptoms changed to lack of breath, rapid heart sensation, fatigue, malaise and dizziness.
I have felt this for now for 6 months and some days are better than others.
If I do too much in the day, I can feel really sick right after for a day or so.
The Doc told me to go for short walks and increase the minutes every week (I'm up to 40mins).
I only now feel fatigue during the day and at night the other symptoms seem to come back.
|

User Profile
replied October 31st, 2015
I know I'm late but just wondered how everyone was getting along?
I'm nearly 14 months in and still have some pretty rough days although everything considered i'm slowly getting there Smile
|

User Profile
replied October 31st, 2015
Experienced User
What are your symptoms now? I'm doing okay, it's been almost 6 years since getting sick. I'm 98 percent recovered. Probably will never be 100%, but I'm happy with where I'm at now. Took lots of hard work.
|

replied November 2nd, 2015
Sporque, what did you do that took "lots of hard work."? Any advice for a complete recovery? When did you start feeling better?
|

User Profile
replied November 3rd, 2015
My symptoms now are fatigue (not as crippling as it once was), brain fog and gernally feeling exhausted from not doing much, I'm only well enough to work part time which is a stretch at times. When you say you're at 98% does that mean you're able to exercise now without the mono returning again?
|

User Profile
replied December 17th, 2015
Experienced User
Don't worry about exercise. It's really strange for me..If I set out to "exercise" meaning jogging, lifting weights, etc. I don't really respond well. But if I do things that like raking, shoveling, cutting firewood..I get a good workout but don't feel that mono "malaise"
Overall, my personal "battery" doesn't charge to 100% anymore so i need to conscious of eating well, getting enough sleep and not over doing anything. If I do this, life is pretty normal.
Unfortunately, having a long bout of mono really messes you up!! There's no quick recovery, BUT recovery does happen. I would encourage you to stay positive and avoid anxiety. Having regular physicals with your primary Doctor is essential as well.
|

Sporque... I have read many of your posts. I have been struggling with mono for now almost 15 months. I am 35. I know I probably have more to go but when did you feel that you really recovered and felt normal again. Everyday waking up is a challenge for me. I continue to have relapses and it takes me a while to recover from the relapse and then I'll have maybe 3-4 weeks of feeling good. The symptoms seem still strong, especially the horrible tenseness and anxiety mono gives you. Did you exercise at all at this point?? I'm wondering if slow exercise will help as well... Any advice would be great!!
|

User Profile
Experienced User
You can't put an exact day on when you're better. I'd say it's more of you go into different phases. For example the first 3 months where TERRIBLE. The next 6 months - very, very hard. The next 2 years i felt okay, relapse, felt okay, relapse. By year 3-4 things where getting brighter, but you still feel it in the background, especially if you over do things. Now at year 6 it has been very good so far. Still, I know it's not totally gone.
The 2 most important things I can tell you are 1. Control anxiety and fear. Attitude and a positive outlook are extremely important. Without that, you'll never be able to tell if your symptom is anxiety caused or mono caused

2. Don't worry about exercise, but do stuff that breaks the cycle. So instead of going for a run, do some chores outside that will make you work up a sweat. Hang out with friends, and slowly test your limits, but don't overdo it!!
|

Also.. When you said it took lots of hard work... What did you do to help yourself recover???
|

User Profile
Experienced User
cicu10 wrote:
Also.. When you said it took lots of hard work... What did you do to help yourself recover???

Hard work, as in: Getting out of bed and forcing myself to work. Staying as positive as possible. Taking chances on doing activities when i don't feel well, only to realize the anxiety was the problem.. Acceptance that I have now have limits that cannot be pushed..etc, etc..
|
Must Read
Is mononucleosis bacterial or viral? Does everyone get mono at some time? How does mono spread? Basic facts and definitions about "the kissing disease". ...
Do you know what causes mono? Although children are more at risk than adults,what can you do to avoid getting sick from mono? Review risk factors here....
The symptoms of mono may not manifest for everyone who contracts the Epstein-Barr virus. But when are symptoms serious? And when should you seek medical help?...