Medical Questions > Cancer > Skin Cancer Forum

MOHS Surgeon or Dermatologist for Reconstructive Surgery?


I just found out I have basal cell carcinoma on my nose. I am a 38-year-old female working in a professional position. My dermatologist has recommended the MOHS procedure, but the soonest I can get in their schedule is the end of next month. I have three options:

(1) Have MOHS dermatologist take care of removing the cancer and reconstructive surgery.
(2) Have a plastic surgeon remove the cancer and do the reconstructive surgery.
(3) Have the MOHS dermatologist take care of removing the cancer and the plastic surgeon perform the reconstructive surgery.

According to my dermatologist, the MOHS specialists are trained to some degree in cosmetic surgery.

I'm still leaning toward option #3, though. Can someone share thoughts about how well qualified the MOHS surgeons are to do reconstructive surgery on the face, such as around the nose area? Would a plastic surgeon be much more skilled? What about having a plastic surgeon do everything?

Thanks in advance!
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 19th, 2010
Although experience and skill levels vary greatly among individual doctors, even within the same specialty, I would probably agree with you that #3 is likely to be the best option for you.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is melanoma? This section give you a quick intro to this particular type of skin cancer, including the entire range of types of melanomas....
Doctors are pretty certain that ultraviolet radiation plays a role in the development of melanoma. Which other activities put you at risk of melanoma?...
What does melanoma look like? Learn to identify early signs and symptoms of melanoma with this full description of symptoms of melanoma here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.