Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

moaning before and during sleep + coughing

I developed a really bad cough over the last 5 days--it went from a light cough every couple of hours in day 1 to coughing every 10 minutes by day 5. It's a terrible itchy feeling in my throat followed my long, harsh coughing. I've been coughing so much that I have a pounding headache with each cough.

That's not the worst part. On top of this cough, about day 2 into this...I start moaning when I try to fall asleep. Right as I feel like I'm about to drift off, I inhale and hold my breath for one second and exhale with a loud moan. The moaning is completely new to me--I have a partner whom I share a bed with and he says I've never done this before apart from when I have the occasional nightmare. The moaning right before drifting off constantly wakes me up that it takes me 2-3 hours to really doze off...and it doesn't stop there. My boyfriend says I'm moaning--LOUDLY--and tossing, turning, and kicking throughout the night. I then WAKE UP in the middle of the night...I don't know if it's due to the moaning or the urge to cough. I repeat the cycle of hacking coughs and moaning as I try to fall asleep.

I feel fatigued throughout the day, but I think that's just because I haven't been able to get a good night's sleep. I do NOT have a runny nose, fever, muscle aches, bone aches, and what have you. It's just couching and moaning. Does anyone have any guesses as to what I might have?? I just moved 500 miles and haven't chosen a new PCP yet, and can't afford my health insurance's urgent care/ER copay.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 26th, 2013
I have recently started doing this too! I've been coughing pretty badly for a week or so but the past 3 nights it's been impossible to get to sleep because I'm always waking myself up with these moans. My wife has commented on me making a lot of noise throughout the night too with moans and talking to myself.

It's great to hear that it's not just me, but did you ever find out what it was in the end? Did it go away? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
|

replied March 14th, 2018
I too developed this coinciding with a bad case of dry cough over the last 3-4 days. Did it go away with the cough ?
|

replied December 26th, 2013
I have started to do this, I have had a cold for the passed few days now it''s a tickle and a cough, I have also been a little stressed lately and now the sleeping disturbance is driving me mad!! Glad I am not the only one who has experienced this it''s highly strange and frustrating
|

replied March 13th, 2015
Hi all,
I'm just starting to experience this, is it worth going to the doctor? I'm on holiday and don't want to panic for no reason.
Thx
|

replied October 17th, 2015
Every comment here left me relieved to know people were experiencing exactly what I was --- until I got to the end and found no answers.

My girlfriend has experienced THESE EXACT symptoms ... 5/6 days of a harsh chest cold and fatigue .... The first day she said she felt better, she started moaning loudly and through out her entire night sleep. It is terrifying me and going on night 3. She has no idea she is doing it and says she really doesn't feel pain minus an annoying lingering cough. Any ideas? Please? It's the most scary noise I've ever heard a person make in their sleep....
|

replied November 13th, 2015
buddy you are stressed up !
|

replied February 24th, 2018
Yep. I got it too. Came a week after a bad cold. I am currently on antibiotics for bronchitis, and I have a suspicion that it will eventually clear up when my chest clears up. I believe phlegm is filling the throat and, since the throat relaxes as you fall asleep, the exhale through the constricted space makes the groan/hum.

Get your chest infection cleared up, take something to try up the post-nasal drip, and maybe it'll help.
|

replied April 11th, 2018
I am also experiencing the same.
|
Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....