Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

5 mo old suddenly spitting up

User Profile
I've breastfed my daughter since she was born, and recently my milk has slowly been going away. I started supplementing her with formula and she took to it quite well. The past few days, she seems to be overeating. I always nurse her in the morning, and the past 2-3 days, she'll spit some of it up. I'll nurse her until she won't stay latched, and then I'll warm her up some formula. She'll eat it just fine. Some time later, she'll spit up a little more again. Next time I'll nurse her, and she'll spit up then. It seems to go back and forth from formula to breast milk.

Should I be worried about her? She has an appointment in about a month, should I just wait for it? She hasn't seen this doctor yet, as we have moved. Anything I can do to help her?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 22nd, 2008
Try changing the formula! Like if you use liquid formula use powered instead and the other way around. This was happening to a baby I know and the formula needed to be changed which cured the problem. Try that first and if that doesnt work see the doctor
|

User Profile
replied September 23rd, 2008
Community Volunteer
She could have an allergy to the formula. My baby didn't like the soy and she vomited it up every time. She also was allergic to the regular milk formulas. I now have to give her the kind for sensitive tummies.

Something else you can try is make sure that you use the slowest flow nipple on the bottle as you can get. The one for newborns or number 0 if you can get it is the best one even for mine who is 8 months. It makes them eat more slowly and they have less chances of swallowing too much at one time or eating too much because they feel that they didn't suck long enough.

She could also just be really hungry and on a growth spurt. Babies can eat a lot more during this time, and sometimes more than they need, and what they don't need just comes back up! As long as she is happy and doesn't seem to be ill and is not running a temperature, then you probably don't need to worry.
|

User Profile
replied September 23rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Thank you.

She didn't spit up at all today, and has only had one bottle so far (she usually has two by now). I'm assuming she was on a growth spurt. I do have the slowest nipple, and I use the dropins, so I know she's not getting any air. She does seem to be a little moody lately, but I just think that's her personality showing though, lol.
|
Tags: breast
Quick Reply
Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....