Medical Questions > Parenting > Kids Health and Pediatrics Forum

24 mo old has been sick 3 mos. pneumonia, fevers, tummy bug

User Profile
My 24 month is constantly sick for almost more than 3 months now. He was down with pneumonia in jan, took him 3 to 4 weeks to fully recover I hope everything went well for couple of weeks then again down with either viral fever,tummy bug etc. If he is well for 2 weeks then is down with one or other sickness. He is down again with high temp and cold from saturday and fever (38.5++) stays down only with calpot and nurofen , then its back again after 5 hrs.i am really worried, not sure what I need to do...

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 5th, 2014
Kids Health and Pediatrics Answer A47080
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Recurrent viral infections are part of the growing up process of any child. In general, a thriving child (with good growth and development) with recurrent respiratory infections does not suffer from a serious underlying disease and most of such children do not have an immunodeficiency, but if they do, this often concerns an antibody deficiency.

The most common reasons for recurrent infections to occur in young children include -

1. Exposure to other infected children. A child in day care will increase the risk of upper respiratory tract infections anywhere from 2-8 times.

2. Structural or anatomic reasons causing blocks in the upper respiratory tract - including - problems with:

a. Circulation- sickle cell disease, diabetes, kidney ailments, heart disease
b. Obstruction- Eustachian tube (ear), cystic fibrosis, stenosis
c. Foreign bodies- shunts, catheters, valves, aspirated foreign bodies
d. Broken barriers- eczema, burns, midline sinus tracts
e. Irritants - like Cigarette-smoke exposure is a noted cause for recurrent respiratory illness ( 8-fold increase)

3. Immune system disorders - underactive immune system, immunodeficiency

4. An over active immune system eg. classic allergies

5. Prior recurrent infections that are never totally cured

For a proper and complete evaluation of your son, you may consult with your doctor or a immunologist who can examine him and decide on the proper course of management.

In the mean time, you may try measures like change of preschool or daycare centers, proper nutrition, Vitamin C supplements, probiotic supplements, better hygiene and hand-washing. These may help in preventing recurrent infections in your kid.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kids Health and Pediatrics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.