Medical Questions > Cancer > Thyroid Cancer Forum

5.5mm nodule on thyroid

On 3-7-12 I had a cervical MRI for severe neck pain. The results did show many different dx's including severe stenosis, herniated and bulging discs. (Had a severe car accident a few years ago) But, incidentally noted 5mm nodule in the right lobe of thyroid gland and to consider ultrasound. I have an appointment tomorrow with my GP. I will request an ultrasound, but I'm wondering what type of Dr. I should see. ENT or Endocronologist. I have a raspy voice to begin with but have been dealing with much more hoarseness and I am having some trouble swallowing solid foods. I also feel as though I have chronic swollen glands and can also feel some kind of lump (mass) aprrox. An inch and a half below my earlobe. Btw, my throat gets really sore at night and worse in the morning. Please respond ASAP. Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile MyrahU

User Profile
replied April 13th, 2012
Extremely eHealthy
Either kind of doctor would work, just make sure they have experience with thyroid cancer/nodules. Even if it's not cancer, you need a doctor who knows what to look for. This can be problematic with some Endocrinologists because many primarily focus on diabetes. Also, to save time, it would also be prudent to go with a doctor who is also a surgeon, so you don't have to be referred again in case you do need surgery. With the issues with the raspy voice and the sore throat, perhaps an ENT would be better to start with. If you ever do have to have your thyroid removed, then find yourself a good Endo to manage your meds.

Sometimes nodules (even benign ones) can give a person problems, like raspy voice and difficulty swallowing. For that reason, the half of your thyroid with the nodule may have to be removed regardless of whether it is cancer or not. If it isn't cancer, then only that half will be at issue. If it is cancer, then they will probably want to remove both.

In addition to the ultrasound, the ENT or Endo will probably want to take a biopsy of the nodule in what is called a Fine Needle Aspiration (FNA). I and many other people have been down this road, so if you have more questions, especially after your doctor appointments, feel free to re-post. And ask a lot of questions of your doctors. That's what they are there for.
Did you find this post helpful?

replied April 3rd, 2015
Just yesterday, I had a CT Scan on my Cervical Spine with findings of Mild Disc Disease and Uncinate Spurring with Degenerative Facet Change.

What worries me most is that Right Lobe Thyroid Hypodense Lesions and possible changes of Mastoiditis on my left thyroid area. In 1999, I had half my thyroid removed on the left side.

Don't know what to think....
Did you find this post helpful?