Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

mix of sleep paralysis and false awaking.

User Profile
I am having a sleep issue that seems to be a mix of sleep paralysis and false awaking. What happens is I will wake up, but I will still be in a dream state. I know I am dreaming, but I will sort of be half awake. I try to open my eyes but can't. I feel myself laying in my bed, but can't seem to move. If I do move, I start moving about in the dream state, not in real life. Basically I become trapped in this dream.

I try to force myself awake by kicking, or making myself hit a wall in the dream or really scarring myself until I finally do wake up. Weird sensations happen when I am in this process of waking, like feeling like my head is banging or zapping. Last one I felt as if I was going to die. I worry one day I won't be able to wake up, or stop breathing.

I've done a sleep study, and everything came back fine. No apnea. Dr contributed it to Anxiety.

I have this about once a week. Sometimes more. Any advice would be great.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 9th, 2015
Sleep Disorders Answer A51019
Thank you for consulting e-healthforum. The phenomenon you are describing IS a dream, rather than a sleep paralysis. It does not require any treatment. Should you have the dreams affecting your awake state and causing a significant anxiety, then, may be, it is reasonable to treat it. The type of dream is just a reflexion of your concerns and unsolved issues. You should know better, what worries you.

Providing Top Neurology Services in the New York area. Excellence in treating headaches, dizziness, and head pain.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sleep Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.