Medical Questions > Debate Forums > Abortion Debate Forum

Misconception between the phrase "My body my choice"

User Profile
I've seen this time and time again. Pro-lifer's attempt to rebuttle the argument on my body my choice. Example:

Pro-choicer: It's my right to make decisions concerning my own body

Pro-lifer: But the baby is not your body. It is a seperate individual with a DNA make up different from any other in the world.

The pro-lifer is indeed correct. HOWEVER, when we say "My body, my choice" We are not claiming the embryo/fetus as a part of our body that we can remove whenever we feel. Instead we are saying that if we want our body to be used as a life support for someone else WE should be in charge of making that decision. No born person has the legal right to use another person's body as life support for any amount of time. So the same would go with any unborn person (if you want to consider an embryo a person).

Not to mention the argument about the fetus being an individual with completely unique DNA from anyone else is pointless to me. Women are born with about 3 million eggs in their ovaries. Each egg is different from one another. And no one has the exact same egg as anyone else. They are all unique like finger prints. Same goes for sperm as well.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 11th, 2010
Active User, very eHealthy
Exactly. It isn't about the fetus' DNA status. Like any born individual, it has no right to use a woman's body against her will. I don't understand why that's so difficult for them to grasp.
|
Users who thank Darkmoon for this post: Moo 

User Profile
replied January 13th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
YAY DM !! I couldn't have said it better myself.
|