Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this.

I have had some severe mental and emotional distubrances due to an abusive upbringing and subsequent abusive relationships.

I am diagnosed as bipolar one, and in states of mania or depresssion, I have caused injury to myself.

The last time I did this was 2 years ago. I burned myself with a strong concentrtion ofTrichloreticitic Acid (TCA), used for removing tatoos. I have a small but very noticeable scar under my left eye, a small scar of about 3/4 in diameter on my left forearm, and residual scars from the removal of a tattoo on my upper left arm.

I have researched this topic and believe they are hypertrophic scars. I understand that treatment results very widely.

I have moved on to a much more comfortable place in my life where I am learning to become more loving of myself and grateful for the blessings I do have. I am now a grad student and teacher, with a very compassionate boyfriend who loves me and loves me and loves me no matter what. But my scars are a reminder of the past, every time I look in the mirror. People ask about them a lot, especially the two on my arm. The one above my eye is very much less significant, as it is not as raised and red like the others; it looks like a very deep wrinkle on the face of a 29 year old female.

I have been using a gel, what I think is a generic brand of Mederma, as well as hydrocortizone gel and Preferon on all areas for aout 2-3 months. I understand laser treatments are available also, as well as plastic surgery options.

can you tell me more?

repectfully,
diane
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 27th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Have you talked to your GP about your options? Hypertrophic scars are not easily removed by conventional means. It usually involves laser therapy or plastic surgery, both of which may be covered by your insurance because they are considered reconstructional.
|

replied August 31st, 2008
Thank you
I've been checking in my health insurance book for whether or not I may be covered. I am calling a plastic surgeon tomorrow.

Respectfully,
Diane
|

User Profile
replied August 31st, 2008
Supporter
Hi Sweetie! Me Fairy*Godmother
First, let me congratulate you for being a grad student and a teacher.......and congratulate you again for being so brave to take back control of your life. I am so very proud of you! I have a nice 7 inch scar made form mohls surgery from removing a (deer tick) size melanoma in 2000. My plastic surgeon says he can help diminish the scar, but I'm not sure I want to go that route. I am older, and its on the back of my left thigh.....Not like everyone's gonna see it. In your case, might I suggest vitamin E capsules (pop them open) and rub them in opposite directions on each scar. Do this twice a day. I went through so many tubes of mederma this past April/May for a mastectomy.....scars did not fade as quickly as the ones I've used the vitamin E on. Its messy it works....and you can get them at a dollar store. I was forking out $23 bucks a tube for the mederma....... I do hope your insurance company will cover this and you can have something done to make you feel better about yourself. I am seeing you from your writing and I think you are a beautiful person! Its whats inside that counts.......scars are battle wounds. HUGS!
|