User Profile
Ok so here's what's been going on.
My daughter is 2 years old.
Monday evening, we went to spend the night with her father.
He is lactose-intolerant so he only buys Silk (soy milk). He figured since Kyleigh likes chocolate milk, he would get the chocolate Silk.
Kyleigh has been drinking only regular milk, either whole or 2%.
So she had one cup of the chocolate Silk at around bedtime. When she woke up the next morning, she had a really soupy diaper that had leaked through to her PJs, so we gave her a bath. I didn't figure it was because of the Silk.
So, he gave her more Silk in the morning because she asked for chocolate milk. Then we ran down to the grocery store and she projectile vomited the chocolate silk ALLLLLLLL over the car.
We got it all cleaned up, fed her pancakes and everything was fine.
We left the house at about 2:30. I got her some gummy worms from the gas station, she only ate a few of them. By 3:30, she was puking the gummy worms all over the car. Luckily I was at my mother's house by this time (although we weren't out of the car yet, so it was all over again). Gave her a bath and my mother gave her more chocolate milk.. I of course yelled at my mom that she didn't need chocolate milk, but she had drank about half a cup by this time.
When we got home around 6pm, she threw up yet again.

My question is:
Is this because she was given soy milk when she has been used to regular milk? Any thoughts or input is greatly appreciated.

This morning she had a soupy diaper but seems to be fine now.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 30th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
I would say it sounds very likely. Maybe she had an adverse reaction to the soy? Or maybe it's one of those dietary changes that causes dramatic results in your little one. I would definitely recommend not giving her more, and maybe give her pedi a call just in case. S/he can probably advise you over the phone, but maybe they'll want her to come in for a quick visit just to make sure she doesn't have a stomach virus or anything.

Poor girl. I hope she feels better soon!
|

User Profile
replied July 30th, 2008
Supporter
Well, she has been fine as of this morning. I'm kind of leaning towards the whole soy milk theory.
My sitter said she was acting normal and eating fine again.
I kept her out of daycare for the day just in case it was a bug.

I won't ever be giving her soy again Smile
|

User Profile
replied July 30th, 2008
Community Volunteer
I think not giving her soy is a very good idea. There are other substitutes for regular milk that can be used too if that becomes a concern. Soy milk doesn't have the natural calcium that cow's milk has, which is the main reason milk is recommended, and it also contains estrogen, which isn't something you want to give to little girls.....it will mess with her hormones.

http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxification -diet/soy.htm

I tried soy formula a while back in one day a week intervals for a few times for my baby since she has milk intolerance and she projectile vomited every time, and was fine the following day, but she goes fine on the lactose free versions of milk based formula.

I'm sorry you had to do so much cleanup for all of this!!
|

User Profile
replied July 30th, 2008
Supporter
mominashoe:

She's not on formula. She has been doing fine on regular milk and I never had any problems at all. Her father only drinks the soy milk, so he decided he would buy some chocolate soy milk for her (don't ask me why!) because he prefers it.

I've called the doctor and I am waiting on them to return my call. I hope the soy milk is what made her sick and not a bug.
|

User Profile
replied August 21st, 2008
Community Volunteer
Yes, I know that is not the issue. I'm sorry I should have clarified that it is my experience with my baby being on formula that has led me to more discoveries about soy products.

I hope everything is ok with your daughter now.
|

User Profile
Supporter
Thank you! She is fine now, ever since those few days passed, nothing has been out of the ordinary. The doctor finally called back and said there was a stomach bug going around and there was no use bringing her in to be seen because it was viral and I'd just have to wait it out.
I'm still not too sure it wasn't the soy milk. She has been fine since she hasn't had any more soy. Ugh! Never again!
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Oh I'm so glad!

"Ugh! Never again!" is right! Who would want to keep something around when you looked at it more times as vomit than any other way......congrats, you made it through.

All the best Smile
|

replied September 1st, 2008
Experienced User
Definitely keep your daughter away from soy. It can only harm her.
I could go on and on about the dangers of soy, but there are enough studies against it now, the information is out there for anyone concerned.
I found out too late about the danger with soy infant formula. I switched my son to soy because he was so fussy and agitated on cow's milk formula, and I was having trouble expressing enough breast milk. Amazingly, he did fine on the soy formula, no vomiting or other overt signs of a problem.

The problems started around the age of two years, with constipation, aggressive behavior, rashes. At age three, defiant refusal to potty train, bedwetting, and frequent out-of-the-blue meltdowns. At this point he was off formula but drinking soymilk, because he liked it and I thought it was good for him. He also loved soy bacon, soy burgers and tofurky. We had become a soy eatin' family, thinking we had made a healthy choice. Ha, ha, ha.

At age four, his behavior was so bad that I took a parenting class for difficult children. I was shocked to see how many moms and dads were in this class because their children had diagnosed developmental disorders. I began to wonder if my son had Oppositional Defiant Disorder, a diagnosis I learned about in the class. (Can you believe "they" actually came up with this, as a definable disorder?)
But my son was highly intelligent, often affectionate, and very eloquent for a four year old.

At five he started kindergarten, and to my amazement was considered a "model" child; very obedient, considerate of others, a willing and articulate student!
But I soon realized something was wrong. He disliked school. Said he was "bored", and was wetting himself (and wetting the bed at night, still.)

I discovered that school was actually extremely stressful for him, but out of a desire to "be good", and not get into any trouble (they lay on the consequences of "poor choices" early in the first weeks of every school year), he was holding in a lot of feelings at school, and letting them loose bigtime! when he came home.
I knew it had to be more than just a discipline issue though, because a problem with sensory issues was growing more pronounced.
A hatred of haircuts, discomfort with his clothes and his environment, not wanting to travel in the car, and a very short fuse whenever he felt someone had wronged him. I learned about Sensory Integration Disorders by the time he was six years old, and knew this was the problem, but I kept asking myself why? I found no reasonable answer until, at the age of eight a stressful situation at school led to a cascade of symptoms that frightened me into more action. I took him to doctor after doctor, getting no relief from the symptoms; light sensitivity, fatigue, gastrointestinal problems,etc. I suspected a food allergy and took him to a chiro/nutritionist who did saliva testing and even hair analysis.

And there it was. Extreme soy allergy! We were still consuming a lot of soy at this time (in all of its various forms). The hair analysis revealed severe adrenal stress! I took my son off of all soy, and stopped eating it myself, although my husband kept buying soy products and eating them.

But it was too late. The damage had been done. Despite nutritional supplements and soy abstainance, he continued to suffer with more and more significant symptoms, but since his GP had no more advice, I made an appointment with an endocrinologist myself. I had heard the California Public Safety Hearing on TV in November of 2004, warning of the dangers of soy infant formula. Endocrine disruption, manganese toxicity, etc. I didn't want to believe it. How could they sell this stuff for babies, knowing it could be so harmful?

My son's endocrine tests revealed low growth hormone, (he stopped growing at the age of nine), low thyroid function, (something soy is notorious for), low adrenal hormone function and high prolactin levels. I read on the internet these results could indicate a pituitary tumor, and sure enough , the endocrinologist ordered a brain MRI. I remembered reading in 2005 that the pituitary gland was a target for excess manganese in the body, and that the soy phytoestrogens could lead to pituitary insufficiency.

It was worse than that. My son has a pituitary tumor, a large one, growing toward his optic nerves, and suppressing anterior pituitary function.

When I told the endo and the neurosurgeon I spoke with about the soy infant formula, the response was "don't believe everything you read on the internet. Pituitary tumors aren't that uncommon"! They don't believe soy caused the tumor or the endocrine disruption, but then what did? They have no answer other than he was probably born with it. Yet I have found research studies where scientists have INDUCED pituitary tumors deliberately in rats using ESTROGEN for the purpose of study, and it is well known among scientists that estrogen does this!

Sorry, I went on and on anyway, didn't I? You can read more in the book, The Whole Soy Story by Kaayla T. Daniel, PhD, CCN. You can get it from Amazon.com This book has been attacked by many soy lovers, but remember, I was once one of those soy lovers. I am also an educated, logical thinking person, not a hot-headed radical, and I have done much research myself, because of my son's illness. Everyone should become aware of the health hazards of soy, and ignore the "evidence" that it is a healthy food. Soy infant formula needs to be taken off the market. If anything, soy has a future as a powerful drug, so the drug companies and soy manufacturers can still be happy.

I just found out the organic turkey I finally talked my son into eating, is soy-fed turkey. Oh well, there's just no winning sometimes.

Take good care of that beautiful daughter of yours. And tell your husband....well no, get the book. The dangers are too numerous to easily and quickly verbalize.
Case in point!

Honeycomb
|
Users who thank Honeycomb for this post: mominashoe 

replied August 19th, 2009
Soya and Pituitary Tumours
Dear Honeycomb,
I'm really sorry to hear what you have been through with your son and I hope that he is getting better.
My husband, who was very healthy and strong, is a vegan and ate an enormous amount of soya products over the past five years. He began to get various symptoms, including a low functioning thyroid and associated problems, gynaecomastia and eyesight problems. In April this year he was found to have a very large pituitary tumour and he had surgery to have it removed. He is still convalescing and on various hormone replacements.
His eyesight has been permanently impaired as the tumour was resting on the optic nerve and thereby damaged it.
We feel that this was due to his excessive soya intake and like yourself, we thought he had made a healthy dietry choice. Some of the medics that he has encountered dismiss a link but the Professor that he saw recently thought that there could be a link. It would be interesting to find out about other cases linking soya and pituitary tumours.
Hope to hear from you,
regards, Mrs Sunnydays
Regards,
|

replied August 20th, 2009
Experienced User
Thank you Sunnydays for your comment. I knew my son couldn't be the only one that this happened to. There are many causes of pituitary tumors, but I wish doctors would not disregard the connection between endocrine disease and soy. It is well documented by scientists, and certainly not just coincidence. Soy is becoming more pervasive in this country, and so is endocrine disease according to the Pituitary Network Association. Maybe someone should conduct a survey among pituitary patients to see what percentage of them consumed a lot of soy prior to symptoms and diagnosis. This is more than "interesting". We need to get soy off the store shelves. Unfortunately, even nutritionists can't agree on the effects of soy. But the research is out there. This is another case of public health suffering, while an industry grows richer.

My son will be getting the surgery very soon. He developed breathing problems after his last MRI (had to have sedation and general anesthesia this time) and has sleep apnea now.
He is definitely not better.

Best wishes to you and your husband,
Honeycomb
|

replied November 8th, 2012
Try lactose free milk. Warm it in a pot with few pieces of ginger in it. Cool it and give. This helped my son stop vomiting frequently.

Good luck
|
Must Read
Minor and more serious burns account for over 2 million doctor visits each year. But what is a burn? And what happens to the skin when it gets burned?...
Why are children at risk of burns? And what agents can cause the skin to burn? More on causes of skin burns and risk factors you can avoid here....
When should you seek medical help for a skin burn? We review common symptoms of burned skin as well as symptoms of airway burns here....