Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Mild physical activity - horrible lows [Two years undiagnosed]

I'm early 30's male and I've been plagued with really bad health for about two and a half years now, to keep things short I'll just say that I've been checked for the following with no result:

Diabetes
Thyroid
Heart tests (Stress/Heart Ultrasound/Multiple halter monitors/EKGs etc)
Kidney and Liver tests
Multiple blood panels
Endoscopy
Two head CT Scans
Chest Xrays

After a year of heavy duty doctor visits and testing I still have no idea what my problem is. What frustrates me the most is that I remember losing my health in an instant back when things started. Almost three years ago I suffered an episode that has been described as a panic attack where I had that impending feeling of doom and what not. Ever since I've developed symptom after symptom, and they leave me extremely demoralized, no sooner do I begin to cope with one when the next wave of symptoms and intensity kick in.

The main problem with my issue are these 'episodes' I suffer from, where I feel a combination of extreme and uncomfortable weakness, sever anxiety (like I need to ingest something I am missing) and a fear that I am shutting down. One way I can describe it is like feeling hypoglycemic but cranked to eleven (I've been checked for this and nothing). Food does seem something to do with it but it doesn't fix the problem all the time. At it's worst I had to start eating something every hour and a half to two hours. I've even had an episode after a big meal and had the urgency to eat even though I was really full.

I started seeing a naturopathic doctor who had me start some supplements and a restrictive diet, avoiding wheat and all grains, dairy, pork and red meat, this mostly leaves me eating chicken breast and vegetables, I've found some gluten free, dairy free bread and pasta which makes the diet more bearable. After eating like this for a month I was able to go hungry longer which felt really encouraging, eating bad however, seems to make me susceptible to these lows. I am fine if I have to eat like this permanently but I still have another reason that triggers these episodes.

My main problem now is that I cannot do ANY physical activity whatsoever, I've tried walking or simply dong 10 push ups or 10 squats, this makes me jittery and uneasy and starts that odd hunger feeling in me. I have avoided exercise the past two years because the last time I pushed myself like I used to I felt like I was going to shut down entirely plus I experienced that feeling of doom for a couple of hours. These episodes have left me pretty mentally drained, I have developed anxiety and depression as well as experiencing some dark thinking, so for me to hear doctors say that anxiety and depression are the cause of my symptoms makes me feel completely helpless and alone.

I switched careers about three years ago, I used to do physical jobs and I work at an office now, have switched to sit/stand desks but I really can't exercise. My job is pretty stressful as well as my personal life, with family emergencies being a common occurrence since I was 21, I am early 30's now.

I would appreciate any feedback from anyone really, I have not posted my problem all these years because of how helpless I feel to find any type of answer to this.

I also keep wondering if a sedentary lifestyle has atrophied my body to such an extent that it causes my body to develop all these episodes and symptoms, last year I could walk 5 miles, 6 months later I could only do 3 and now I can barely walk 2 but immediately feel sick some days even half a mile triggers the hollow feeling that I know leads to the rest.

I also wonder if I need to push through and just exercise hard then feel sick maybe my body will kick in and remember how to recover.

Sorry for the exceptionally long post but I'm really at my wits end.

Thank you for any answers.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 29th, 2016
Welcome to e health forum.

It is possible that due to work, family or any other causes, you are highly stressed and anxious. You may also possibly have anxiety or personality disorder or actually you might be depressed.

These conditions are caused due to multiple factors, lifestyle and interpersonal issues and detailed psychiatric history is needed so as to provide you manage the underlying condition.

To improve your life and have a proper outlook towards life, it is helpful if you seek a guidance from a external person either in your family or your friends.

If you do not have such dependable people then consulting a psychologist or a psychiatrist and undergoing proper counselling will be very helpful to making the proper assessment of your issues. Once diagnosed proper treatment will help you find happiness and content.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.