Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Arthritis Forum

mild OA of my right hip but not sure what to do next

User Profile
I am 41 and up till recently i was very active with my main sport being field hockey. During investigation into a possible FAI I have found out I have mild OA of my right hip but not sure what to do next.As I said my Physio and I thought I might have FAI but nothing showed up on my MRI. I have pain in my groin, my hip flexors are tight (stretching doesn't help) and I always limp after sitting. My ortho surgeon has suggested a Hip replacement waaaay down the line but in the meantime a steroid injection into the joint is all they can offer.Is there anything else that could be causing this pain?!? Help?!?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied May 13th, 2013
Arthritis Answer A43384
Welcome to e health forum.

Femoro acetabular Impingement is a condition occurring due to continuous friction between the articulating surfaces of the hip joint, which results in degenerative changes in the joint. The condition is most common in high level athletes, but also occurs in active individuals.

FAI is associated with cartilage damage, labral tears, early hip arthritis, hyperlaxity, sports hernias, and low back pain. The condition usually presents with low back ache, localized to the sacroiliac joint on back of pelvis), the buttock or the side of hip. The pain usually does not go below the level of the knee joint.

A MRI is done to check to assess the damage to the joint surface or the cartilage. It also helps to rule out other causes of hip pain, including avascular necrosis.

Non-operative management with pain pills and Analgesic injections should be helpful in the early stages of the condition. But they also would involve a change in lifestyle from active to less active and a commitment to maintaining hip strength. Nonoperative management will not change the underlying abnormal hip biomechanics of FAI and may contribute to further hip degeneration.

Operative management with arthroscopic approach would be necessary in conditions with moderate to severe hip joint or cartilage damage.

You might consult with your doctor or a orthopedic surgeon who can advise you more regarding your condition.

I hope this helps.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Arthritis is the most common cause of disability in the United States. Learn more about types of arthritis here....
Do you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around? You might have arthritis. Learn more about arthritis signs and symptoms here....
Signs and symptoms of rheumatic diseases are common to many different diseases. Diagnose arthritis correctly using these step-by-step diagnosis instructions....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Arthritis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.