Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Migraines every few days for yrs, since getting staples

User Profile
A few years ago I had to get Staple placed in my head in several places.Ever since this I have had migraines every few days and a lot of pain in my head where the scares are. I figured it would be a while before that stuff went away but it has been a while. What should the next step be. I have had several head scans done with no help.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 23rd, 2016
Headache and Migraines Answer A56879
Welcome to e health forum.

Headache is a very common and non specific symptom which can be attributed to conditions like psychological stress, viral or bacterial infections of the upper respiratory tract, migraines, functional disorders, vascular disorders and finally neurological infections or conditions which increase the intracranial pressure.

In case of major neurological conditions, headache is usually associated with nausea, vomiting, changes in consciousness, reduced ability to concentrate at work, blurred vision, seizures, etc.

As per the history provided here, your friend seems to be having classic migraine.

A migraine is a common type of headache that may occur with symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, or sensitivity to light. In many people, a throbbing pain is felt only on one side of the head.

Some people who get migraines have warning symptoms, called an aura, before the actual headache begins. An aura is a group of symptoms, including vision disturbances, that are a warning sign that a bad headache is coming.

A migraine is caused by abnormal brain activity, which is triggered by stress, certain foods, environmental factors, hormonal changes, or something else.

Migraine attacks may be triggered by:
Alcohol
Allergic reactions
Bright lights
Certain odors or perfumes
Changes in sleep patterns
Exercise
Loud noises
Missed meals
Physical or emotional stress
Smoking or exposure to smoke

Women are more likely to experience migraine than males, due to possible influence of hormonal (estrogen) changes.

Often the best migraine headache treatment is to avoid triggers. If a migraine sufferer can figure out what’s causing the migraine headaches then simply avoiding the cause will help stop the migraines.

Usually OTC pain medications are helpful to resolve the headache. In case they do not help you might need better prescription medications.

You might consider consulting your doctor who after proper evaluation may treat your condition effectively.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Headache
Quick Reply
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Headache and Migraines , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.