User Profile
I have suffered from severe migraines since I was nine, I get them a lot less frequently now than I used to, but when I get them now they are worse. I usually get what I call minor migraines every few days but I still get the full blown ones from time to time.
What symptoms do you all get with migraines? I always have visual disturbances, but with the really bad ones I'll feel knackered and then start getting pins and needles down one side and loosing control and feeling in my arms and legs. I also notice that colours seem a lot more vivid than usual and I sometimes go partially deaf in one ear as well as being very dizzy.
The most scary thing though is that I sometimes get what I can only describe as 'paralysis' down one side.
The minor ones last about five to ten minutes, but the bad ones can last anything between an hour and two days and I'll feel really exhausted for a couple of days after too.
Does anyone else get this and if so do you know anything I can try to stop them progressing?
Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 27th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Do you often get slurred speech and/or inability to speak at the time of attack?
Do find yourself unsteady and difficult to walk?
Have you experienced partial (distorted shapes, blind spots moving through the visual field), or total blindness at that moments?
|

replied May 27th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You need to see a neurologist. What you describe suggests some vascular condition and is worth further investigation with a neurologist.
|

User Profile
replied May 30th, 2008
Experienced User
I get visual disturbances. I have difficulty speaking because I get pins and needles all down one side including my face, I can speak and I went to hospital for checks when I was 9 and he said is was migraine. Like I say it's not really paralyiss as such but thats the best way I can describe it. I can move but I feel like I have no (or very little) control over my legs and arms, they just go very floppy and as a result I can't walk or use the affected hand.
I do have reynauds phenomenon if that is relevant.
|

User Profile
replied June 4th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Do you usually get sensation that the world around you is spinning or turning, or you are spinning or turning in relation to your environment when you said that you are feeling very dizzy?
Is the headache severe and often occurring near the base of the skull in the back of the head?
Do you sometimes feel the headache above the ear and above and behind the eyeball itself?
Have you experienced lose of consciousness during an attack?

You have most of the symptoms and signs of Basilar Artery Migraine.
|

User Profile
replied June 4th, 2008
Experienced User
I feel very faint and sometimes like I've been spinning and stopped.
I get a headache on one side behind the eye. I don't get it in the back of my head and I've never lost conciousness, just on one side above and around the eye and sometimes my forehead on one side. I'm always concious throughout, although if I go to sleep before the headache develops I can often sleep through it and be fine when I wake up. I have fainted in the past but I didnt have a migraine at the time, I have lowish blood pressure and I was anaemic.
I find migraines can be brought on by light, chocolate, low sugar levels (oddly) and cold. Most often the light.
|

replied June 5th, 2008
Migraines are sooo disturbing
I have been getting them for over 9 years. Mine warn me though. The strange thing is that when I get them real bad, that side of my face gets numb as well. Incredibly, I even get this funny tingling feeling on my cheek and suddenly my gums, teeth and ear hurt too. I live on excedrin. I take 2 every single day of my life and I cant be without it now. I have had maybe every head scan possible and nobody has answers for me. When I get them, I feel like I want to jump in front of a train to make the pain go away. I get sentivity to light and noise so I require some bedrest immediately at onset and the excedrin is usually effective within 20 min. I get nausea, vomitting and sometimes feel faint. Migraines suck, but I wish I can target the problem to get treatment. The last time that I was put on treatment, the doc prescribed blood pressure mediation and I ended up passing out at my place of employment after I fainted. I never want to go through that again, but I do know someone that had facial paralysis after ignoring migraines for 4 years. That scares me so much.
|

User Profile
replied June 9th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Spinning sensation or vertigo is relatively commonly experienced in Basilar Artery Migraine. In fact, it is one of the "warning flags" that should alert a doctor or neurologist to the possibility of Basilar Artery Migraine. Though dizziness may occur in both normal migraines and in BAM, actual vertigo is something quite different, and is indicative of vertebrobasilar ischemia happening in patient with BAM.

Have you ever been suspected or diagnosed with BAM?
|

User Profile
replied July 14th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
I'd definitely talk to a doc (neurologist) about this. Smile MandMs seems like she knows what she's talking about Smile
|
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....