Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Microgestin Fe for almost a month

User Profile
Hi,

I've been on Microgestin Fe for almost a month now and this is my first time on birth control pill. I am on my 4th sugar pill tonight. My boyfriend and I had unprotected sex on the third week. And on the third week, I also experienced minor, fleeting cramps and I had a white fluid discharge. On my third sugar pill (which was last night) I had my period. On that night too, I experienced severe cramps. It was so painful that I threw up twice. My question is, could this be menstruation or is this vaginal bleeding that happens during the first trimester of being pregnant? I have read somewhere that you could experience bleeding while pregnant. My discharge is that of a normal menstruation and I am having cramps. What is the difference between menstruation and vaginal bleeding while pregnant? What are the symptoms I could look for to set them apart? I also took a test 7 days after my expected period and it came out negative.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 18th, 2010
Menstruation Answer A17854
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum.
You are not protected while on your first pack of birth control use. Additional protection (condom/spermicide) is recommended while having intercourse during first month of pill use. The bleeding that you describe could be indicative of pregnancy. Look out for other symptoms suggestive of pregnancy like: fatigue, nausea, constipation, increased sleep, hunger and tiredness, mood changes, headaches, back pain, lower abdominal cramps, increased frequency of urine, breast soreness, nipple sensitivity, blue veins on breasts, pelvic discomfort and heaviness, food cravings, dizziness, increase in vaginal discharge without any foul smell or any other associated symptoms like itching, burning rashes etc.
Go ahead with visit to your gynecologist/healthcare provider, request for a blood HCG level test to confirm/rule out pregnancy. Urine pregnancy tests are associated with high incidences of false negative results (negative result even though you are pregnant).
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.