Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

messed up periods last a month or so

User Profile
I hate my periods
Im 18 years old and i have very messed up periods and they almost always last a month or so. Is that weird?? For as long as i remember i have never had a monthly period. Do you think i need to see my doctoe and i also hace a mixture of tiny and HUGE clots. Should i be worried? And i have never had a pap. Or anything checked out.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 15th, 2012
Womens Conditions Answer A30412
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth forum!

Yes, you must consult your gynecologist. A prolonged bleeding of any kind from the vagina can be due to a sore or ulcer in vagina as you see in Herpes or otherwise, endometritis or infection of endometrium of uterus, cervicitis or infection of cervix, fibroids, vaginal infections, vaginal polyp, endometriosis and cancer of either cervix, uterus or ovary. It can also be due to a hormonal contraceptive of any kind or due to hormonal imbalance due to withdrawing it. Sometimes PCOS also presents with prolonged vaginal bleed.

You would need to get some investigations done including hormone analysis, PAP smear, ultrasound and maybe CT scan of pelvis. Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please consult your gynecologist regarding this. Hope this helps. Take care!

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.