Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

messed up a few times on my pills...

User Profile
I messed up a few times on my pills. I have been on them over two years and it has always worked out okay. On the last week of my active pills i accidently took two in one night.This was on thursday, so on friday I took saturdays pills.Then the sugar pills was all that was left. Saturday I took nothing but on sunday I had unprotected sex. I took plan b the next day (monday). I was due to start on wednesday but it is saturday and I have not yet...what are my chances..?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 28th, 2011
Birth Control Answer A28943
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
Since you took the Plan-B close to your expected periods/withdrawal bleeding, it can delay your periods (due to the high dosage of hormones contained in them). Withdrawal bleeding usually occurs within 5-7 days of taking the emergency contraceptive indicating that the pill has worked (which may not occur if the pill was taken close to your period time). Since the emergency contraceptives contain high doses of hormones, these can disrupt the normal hormonal and period pattern causing symptoms like nausea, altered vaginal discharge, abdominal cramps, delayed periods etc. Wait and watch for your next periods/withdrawal bleeding which might be delayed (a delay of 5-10 days is considered to be normal). Consider visiting your gynecologist/obstetrician for further evaluation and assistance. Start with your next birth control pill pack after your periods, and use additional protection if having intercourse while being on this pill pack use. Be regular in taking the birth control pills at scheduled time daily.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Birth Control , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.