Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

mentally stressed. Should I take HIV test or not?

User Profile
Hi I'm Rajesh I had a vaginal sex with women sex worker using condom around 5 pm but the same day in morning around 7 am when I trimimg hair around my penis I got cut on skin of my penis there was a slight blood discharge even though I used condom while having sex I fear that there may be a chance of getting hiv infected . Same day i had symptoms like headache and felt dizzy after 3 days i suffered from severe stomach pain please reply I'm mentally stressed. Should I take HIV test or not
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 31st, 2016
HIV and AIDS Answer A57467
Welcome to e health forum.

As described in your history, the possible risk of you having STDs including HIV would be very less likely. This is due to the fact that you had used condoms.

But if you are unsure, and think that you may have been at risk, then it would be best to get tested and clear all your doubts.

If it has been more than 12 weeks since the exposure, it would be recommended that you get a HIV test at a STD clinic. A negative test at this time will be conclusive about your HIV negative status.

I hope this helps.

|
Users who thank DEEPAK ANVEKAR for this post: Rajesh224 

User Profile
replied June 26th, 2016
In general, the risk of infection due to unprotected vaginal sex (female to male) is only 0.04 % for every event of intercourse.

This risk which is actually low to result in a confirmed infection, further reduces when condoms are used.

Hence, given your history, the possibility of infection in your case is extremely low.

But, just to clear your mind and as a precaution, you should still do a 4th generation HIV test after 12 weeks post exposure. A negative test result will put your mind to ease and you can get on with your life.

I hope this helps.

|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.