Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

Mental changes after drinking alcohol (Page 1)

Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
Hello,

I am very intrigued by a post I had seen on here, dated 2007 - slightly similar to the case I am about to describe, and hope that someone can be of assistance with it. It is a long post, but hopefully detailed enough to gain a picture from. I am quite doubtful that many people have ever suffered this feeling, but I'll try and explain..

I always have strange symptoms from consuming alcohol, and naturally because of this, and other fitness reasons, I would usually only ever drink say every 6-8 months anyway - with no set time for doing so. I am a competitive runner and have never really been that interested in drinking or chosen to get involved with it in any way regardless. When out socially, I usually drink soft drinks, but on rare occasions, have drank alcohol when a change of mood comes over me to do so - usually influenced by others or the situation. However, as stated, to actually do that is very rare, and in the last 3 years or so I have probably only been drunk on around 10 occasions at the most.

Now to explain things in some more detail... the feelings that I get from drinking, whether it be any amount small or large, is usually the same. While drinking, I am fine, and react the same I would imagine as anyone else - tolerating alcohol fine, getting drunk the same - it is the effects in the morning which get to me the most - and PLEASE do not chalk this up as a hangover - I am aware of how one should feel, and certainly how long it should last. This is completely different.

The feelings are of a constant lightheadedness, not feeling myself, my speech being somewhat affected in everyday talking (i.e. struggling sometimes to form together complex thoughts into speech), being irritated, somewhat depressed with the feeling on a daily basis, and just generally feeling 'different' in my head - mentally. I am more 'down', and more detached from people, and my self-motivation, and mood just takes a hit. Time seems to pass in the day, and recalling earlier events seem to feel like they have taken place over a much longer time frame (if this makes sense), and I am somewhat more aware of the thoughts in my head, and irritated by them. I am simply always are of this odd feeling just not 'being there' or 'with it'. Physically, I can feel worse when I run, and more unfit than I know I am. Try likening it to the strange head rush you get from standing up quickly, and that is somewhere towards it - but it is much more than just a dizzy feeling - there is a different state of mind that I just 'feel'. This doesn't however lead me onto any other 'dodgy' thinking about things or whatever - I simply just always deal with it.

The strangest thing of all of those symptoms is the time in which they last - at least 2-3 months, and sometimes up to 6 months, as strange as it sounds - hence why I simply don't take the chance drinking anymore - as it has happened a number of times now for me to always know it will occur and last a long time. This effectively makes it quite a chore to put up with in every day life. It will gradually disappear after this time frame, when my thoughts about the feeling gradually ease - i.e., when I am not constantly waking up hoping it will be gone, and simply just getting on with life.

It would however be good to drink like other people - and I have no gripes with actually tolerating alcohol, it is simply the after effects, *EVERY* time I drink anything - it is almost like I know it is coming, and so cannot help but convince myself it will happen. It always does. I have considered it to be a mental condition that maybe my own thoughts have influenced, or something else entirely - such as an allergic reaction - but I am surprised that such a reaction is not physical. To give any background as to why this may be happening could be related to my first proper drinking experience at 16 - even then I felt a kind of guilt for doing it, and from that night, had the feelings I describe now - the morning after - lasting a few months. Since then, it has always been the case. Is a longstanding guilt my problem? I'm not religious or come from any background which has negative views on drinking, but I think as I have always been a sensible person, and keen on fitness, to drink seemed to be betraying myself...in a way?

In every other area of my life, I would class myself as normal in my habits, social circles, way of living etc - this is the only thing which concerns me, and leaves me simply confused when it happens. I have never taken drugs, do not (or have never) smoke(d), do not have any disorders or take any medication (now or previous).

If anyone has any input on this, it would be appreciated. Unfortunately the safest bet for myself has always been to steer clear of alcohol, though it would be good to enjoy some, sensibly and socially with friends without the feeling occurring the next day for the time stated. To clarify, regardless of what is causing the feeling - I can honestly say that it *IS* happening, and not some OCD- like thought. Though I'm not ruling out anything on something I can't fully comprehend yet!

Additionally, the reasons for my strict avoidance of alcohol in general these days has been hard to explain to family and friends.

Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper esge2000
|

replied October 18th, 2009
I hope someone adds some input to this becuase this is exactly how I feel. I hardley drink due to this exact reason! I drank on tuesday and i feel awful and will do for the next few months .. It was the first time I drank in maybe 6 months and I told myself I would never drink again!! 6 months later I forget exactly how bad I feel and Im in the same situation again.

I dont know what to do Sad. I feel really angry and emotional and this is nothing how I felt prior to tuesday I was so happy and wish I could feel like that again without waiting so many months
|

replied August 8th, 2015
Extremely eHealthy
Alcohol makes me instantly have a headache........I don't drink...........someone even put some in a soda and I took a sip and I did not drink the rest. We can live without alcohol it is not good for us. If you friends don't understand time for new friends. I don't even have it in the house. My maternal side were severe alcoholics and I can't even stand the smell of it. I also do not smoke that was a problem with family in my early years. I do not allow smoking on our property. I have asthma from this. Our house when we were kids smelled horrible. Smoking is not good for anyone.
|

replied December 19th, 2016
I am 60 years old and never had trouble with 40 years of drinking until now.
Now if I have very little beer I get foggy and that can last for at least a day but probably longer. A period of flashing in my head occurs with sobering up. I don't think the feelings I get are brain zaps. It is like that for a quick moment I blank out in much of my brain and then that bad feeling ends. So I have cut my drinking down drastically with the fear that one of these episodes will cause me to pass out or worse. I had a normal MRI several years ago but I am considering getting a new MRI. I am getting old and I am getting very scared.
|

replied October 21st, 2009
Can you describe the way you feel please..? I'm interested, as oddly, I just thought this was an isolated case to myself.

I am surprised no-one has given any input to this. Please make no mistake, I'm a pretty stable individual - but this is an odd problem, which simply confuses me. Like yourself, it's the reason I drink rarely, and the feeling just can't be fully comprehended...but just not being yourself is the main 'feeling' - feeling quite down and generally just 'in a blur' every day is as close as I can describe personally. Effectively, it's ruining any chance, if I so wanted to, of drinking - so it's a good thing I'm not too bothered. Again, I too had pretty much forgotten how bad the feeling was and did drink on occasions only for it to happen again..and last as long.

Anyone know what this is, if anything?
|

replied November 17th, 2009
alcohol induced brain fog
I have the exact same thing! The underlying symptoms i believe is called being 'brain fogged' or 'depersonalization'.

I only get this feeling after drinking alcohol but for me it lasts about one or two weeks (the strange thing is i dont normally notice it until one or two days after drinking)

have any of you been to the doctor about this???

what sugegsted diagnosis have you come across?

for me the best sugegstions ive seen are migraine/ metabolic enecphalpathy or some blood problem like lyme disease.

i suggest that it is something that has onset as i was able to drink normally until a year or so ago.
|

replied March 19th, 2016
Hi mate, you have exactly what I have...well so it seems. Just wondering how you are getting on these days. I know its a really old post, but I would really appreciate hearing how you are getting on these days?
|
Users who thank juanpablo for this post: cunningkron 

replied June 15th, 2016
Hello juanpablo. I noticed that your post is one of the most recent on this problem. I have the same condition that you and most of the other people in this forum have. I am quite concerned as I simply don not feel like myself--foggy, lightheaded, depressed, somewhat "in my head", and above all, anxious that this feeling won't go away anytime soon. If you could please give me a few words about your own personal experience, how long your symptoms last after drinking, and how you deal with it, I think that it will ease my anxiety. I consider myself to normally be a moderately anxious person, but since drinking nearly a full week ago, I just feel extremely anxious, depressed, and not like myself. Thank you for your help.
|

replied January 6th, 2017
Hey alcoholdamaged, did you find out what is causing the problem?

I don't think I have what the OP has but it sounds like I have exactly what aj83 and juanpablo have (brain fog after drinking--thinking slowly, hard to remember things, difficult to concentrate). I've tried asking doctors a couple times but so far they haven't been any help at all. I'd really appreciate any insight you may have on this.
|

replied March 10th, 2013
I am a nurse. Im very glad to hear im not the only one who experiences these issues after alcohol consumption. Before around a year and a half ago i was able to drink normally without even a hangover. Since then every time after i wake up the next morning from drinking i feel anxious nervous and have an unusual disconnected feeling going on inside my head. Almost dizziying but nonetheless alarming. I honestly believed i was going crazy with some sort of tumor or mental issues. My body behaves normally i hyst feel depressed like know one understands. It doesnt help that im a guy. Finding others that are experiencing identical symptoms really helps me to not feel alone. It will help my relationship to share this news. I do plan on going to my physician. Im just afraid to find bad news. I know silly seeing as im a healthcare professional and constant worrier.
|

replied May 6th, 2013
I have the same feeling. It started when I was drunk for 3 days straight when my girlfriend dumped me. I have the same feelings as described above and i would like to add that i find myself staring while im thinking about nothing many times. I go to college and this is really holding back my possibilities. I have the same problem explaining people why I don't drink and I really would like to find a sollution for this problem.
|

replied May 14th, 2013
Hi I'm now 18 and I feel I have a similar story. I used to go out drinking when I was 14(obviously now looking back it was a ridiculous age to drink!) and I never had a hangover, I used to get into clubs ect. In march of 2010 I had the worst experience of my life ill never forget it!

I had calmed down on going out and started concentrating on school. It was an ordinary weekend and I was just going to have a quite drink of WKD! With my best friend in my room. As soon as it kicked in I can't even begin to explain how strange I felt. People said to me oh your just feeling drunk. Trust me I know what feeling drunk is and this wasn't!!! I was soo dizzy I was zoned out from everything, if someone said something to me I would even have realised I'd answered with just a yes or ok. It's so hard to describe the feeling inside my head it was just weird. I remember lien in my bed thinking the walls were closing in on me. I ended up wee'in the bed as I just couldn't get up.

Next morning I woke up I was experiencing this horrible feeling straight away. I ended up going to hospital and being told I was having panic attacks but they just wouldn't understand that I was having panic attacks because of this horrible feeling inside.

I'm still not fully ok 3 years later although its calmed down a lot and I can control it. I've never touched alcohol since as I know I just go paranoid when I try. It had really upset me that this has happened as I have missed out on friends and family's '18th' even myself as they just don't understand why I don't drink.

What could this be?
|

replied May 22nd, 2013
Same symptomes..
Hallo I have the same symptoms as you describe. I havent been drinking any alcohol for two years, because i have this symptomes every time i drink. a couple days ago i was at a friends party and i drank 1/2 bear.
The symtomes came right back again. I hate it, the doctors don know anything. I mean 2dl of beer after two
yers.. whats the diagnose for this.. anyone ?
From Sweden.
|

replied June 26th, 2013
I have been having the same stuff you described, after drinking 3 days straight. Drank maybe more than I have ever had. A big mistake. I wish this would go away. I have tried sleeping well, drinking water 3-4 litres per day, going to sauna, exercising, doing positive stuff. Went to doctors, they said it's because of my neck and back so I went to chiropractic massage. My back and neck feels fine, I feel fine otherwise, can do everything physically, nothing is wrong on the outside! ...except in my head I feel "just not connected", like a bit drunk but not quite, you know what I mean...

I think the best I can do now is to live my life normally and not to think about it. I have been counting days and worring about it, having panic attacks, but now I'm going to think it's not there. Maybe it helps. It's been one week and two days now. -Finland
|

replied July 12th, 2013
same problem here. been going of for 2.5 years
I am having the exact problem. I have been a musician for 15 years so being in a bar and drinking til the sun comes up is normal. until 2 years ago when i drank the day after having strep throat. although i was also drinking when i had strep throat, hot toddies. anyway, i drank a ton on a friday night and saturday felt pretty tired so i slept all day. went out that night and drank some more. sunday, same thing, slept all day, drank all night. no monday, i get home at noon after a night of drinking and no sleep at all. i go to bed around noon and wake up at 5 because i felt like i was on drugs. i can not explain it. i had this feeling in my chest and i was nervous feeling and my eyes were wide and i was pacing back and forth and thinking and thinking and just going crazy. this lasted for a few days and was horrible. i even had to cancel a few gigs because of it. after a few days it was gone and i felt normal again. so i continued my lifestyle of partying and drinking a lot. a few months later i drank so much i cant even explain it. but nonetheless i had no hangover the next morning. i decided to grab a sandwich and a pedialyte (better than gatorade) but before i could i started freaking out. so bad. just like everyone else has described. i was driving and had to pull over and take a nap in a parking lot for a few hours. my body and mind freaked out for a few days and i havent been the same since. now, two years later, i hardly drink. but i decided to have a beer the other day. hated it. drank 2 sips and started feeling weird. like hazy, foggy, and "in my head" if that makes sense. only drank half the beer. this has happened to me every time i drink whether it is beer or wine (im to scared to take a shot now). i went to the doctor, they took blood, told me i am VERY healthy. id like to enjoy drinking again. have fun with friends. but i cant. and who wants to be the sober guy around all the drunkies? anyway, if anyone has the answer please post it here. -california
|

replied March 28th, 2014
I'm a musician too and have the same exact problem.. I liked to party a lot but I'm literally too scared too anymore. After a recent night of too much drinking I felt like I've been going crazy these last couple days... did u ever find any solutions?? I just am starting my music career and can't be getting any weird issues ...
|

replied July 12th, 2013
i should also mention, autopilot is the best way to describe things now. i am always on autopilot. i hate it. would love to not be on autopilot anymore.
|

replied March 28th, 2014
I am sooo relieved to see others (not happy that you are all experiencing this too) but relieved in the sense that I'm not alone in this... I've had several occasions now where I won't feel myself after I drink.. Particularly the other night I got extremely intoxicated to the point where I dont remember anything (and I never get like this, and I've even considered the fact that someone may have slipped something in my drink) but for the last 3 days I have been feeling an arrangement of things: foggy. depressed. detatched. my thoughts are all over the place.. it's like I can't calm my mind. I've been upset. anxious. nervous for no reason... And I feel like my breathing and heart beat are off. I feel super concentrated on my breathing and almost as if I don't force myself to breath "in" and "out" ..I'll just stop. I been told I have anxiety but I hate that.. I feel like doctors just chalk it down to anxiety. I worry myself with thinking I have a tumor/cancer/something serious.. but I am definitely considering never drinking again. I don't know how long this dreary feelings is going to last but I just want to wake up and feel rested and normal!! Not to mention I have terrifying dreams at night.. All I can do is pray, keep my faith, and hopefully this will all go away.
|

replied April 14th, 2014
Experienced User
don't too much think live in happy atmosphere and don't drink alcohol.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied December 28th, 2014
Drinking + IUD?
I've been experiencing similar symptoms as everyone has described - feeling foggy, different somehow, mind racing, panic, flashing/blurred vision, anxiety - all after drinking. I am curious if anyone else who has written has an IUD (copper one)? These problems all started for me after I got one inserted and I am curious if there is a connection.
|

replied January 15th, 2015
Wow it took me ages to find this page, such confidence to find people that have experienced this , I first noticed it happening to me at work months ago but just took it as a long hangover , and being 18 that's expected of our age group, anyway time got on and I just sort of got use to it but recently I spent a week away with family and was drinking heavily then returned and went out with my mates the same night that was the last I drunk and since then the same feeling has occurred and now its 4 times as worse and it won't go, I started googling symptoms of depression and mental illnesses as I have a family memeber with it so it wasn't very assuring. But none of the symptoms seemed to add up, I've tried talking to my gp he just reckons its what doctors call cotton wool head , a phase of a cold where you feel not your self but he described me the feelings of it and none were close, I'm very threatened by this as I'm so young and got my whole life a head of me I would hate this to carry on , its already had an impact on my relationship and work. And getting very scared. If anyone has some answers please mail me it would be greatly appreciated.
|

replied January 31st, 2015
Foggy head with drink
I am so relieved that I found this page since I could identify with the feelings the other bloggers described immediately. Now, I'm not a big drinker by any stretch of the imagination but I realised many years ago when I was about 21 that when I got drunk I had this detached, being in-my-head, foggy feeling. I just thought it was part of the sobering up process and therefore ignored it. It was a few years late that I felt aware that something wasn't right. It just felt different to being drunk. I'm now 45 years of age and don't drink much at all but whenever I do, that feeling comes back and stays with me for a few months. I've also noticed over the past few years that I get massively depressed and a bit paranoid when normally I'm a positive person. It was only after reading this blog, that I realised I'm not the only one experiencing it and I'm not going crazy. Before I thought there was a link but now I KNOW there is one. - London
|

replied June 17th, 2015
Alcohol withdrawl or something more serious?
I have been experiencing these symptoms for the last 3 days as well. I went out on Saturday night after not eating properly all day. I didn't have a lot to drink but mixed several different drinks, I had a beer, 3 red bull vodkas, champagne, and a tequila shot. Woke up the next morning still drunk but I remembered what happened the previous night. Or so I thought, since then I cant really recall the night or past events in detail, I feel like I'm looking at the world through foggy lenses and I feel dizzy/sleepy/dream-like state and sick like I need to vomit. Apparently I also mentioned someone by the name of Emily throughout the night but I don't recall. If this continues for a couple more day Im going to see a doctor and neurologist.
|

replied July 1st, 2015
Hi guys, I also suffer from similar symptoms. Would ye feel disorientated, coordination not same??? I find my senses aren't same as in not fully aware of what's going on, and other general senses. Lights are on but noone home type feeling.Does any one suffer similarly without drink, possibly episodic, and unpredictable in terms of timing of reoccurrence?? Nebody find if you try and shut it out and try to forget about it it isn't as effective but difficult to do??? Doctors don't seem to have a clue. Or neurologists that I have visited !! Anyone have any counter actions? ??
|

replied July 6th, 2015
Please someone has to know something about this, I have the same thing after binge drinking for the first time 3 nights ago. Im 17 and the disconnected, agitated feeling is really getting me. I did some searching and I found this site with you guys that have the same thing. I really dont want to go through 3+months in this state. Its almost as if im in autopilot and im.doing stuff amd thinking about it later. Please help
|