Medical Questions > Womens Health > Fertility Forum

Menopause and assisted reproductive techniques

User Profile
I had my tubes tied last year but hve now met someone who would like a child of our own. He had an accident when he was sixteen and was told he cant hve children what would we have to do to look at hvng our own child what alternatives do we hve

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied June 10th, 2008
Fertility Answer A4253
Current medical status: I hve been told by my doctor that Im going through pre menapause and had my tubes tied feb last year
Current medical treatment: none

Tied tubes can be overcome but you can’t have your own children if you are in menopause. Menopause basically means that a woman has spent all her egg-cells. But there is a hope of getting pregnant as long as you have even one egg-cell.

There is a hope for male sterility as long as he has spermatozoids in his testicles. There is a kind of assisted reproductive technique called ICSI (intra cell spermatozoid injection) that can help in severe cases of male sterility. The man only needs to have spermatozoids in his testicles and the woman to have egg-cells. Spermatozoids can be taken with needle aspiration from the testicles if there are no spermatozoids in the sperm. An egg cell is also taken with needle aspiration of the ovary that was previously stimulated with ovulation stimulators. Then, one spermatozoid is injected inside the egg-cell under a microscope in a special environment. If conception is successful, 5-6 days after conception the fertilized egg-cell is brought into the uterus for implantation.

You may want to consult a gynecologist trained for assisted reproductive techniques.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is menopause? Peri menopause? How long does menopause last? Get the facts on menopause, "the big change", here. ...
Symptoms of menopause and perimenopause affect women in different ways. What common signs and early symptoms of menopause can alert you of "the change"?...
Consult your doctor as your body makes the perimenopause transition. But how do doctors confirm the beginning of menopause? Learn more here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Fertility , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.