On Sunday, May 24, 2009 I started feeling bad. Thinking that I was coming down with a bug, I did not give it much thought. Monday (Memorial Day), I started feeling really bad, major headache, vomiting and fever. I decided I would hold out until the doctor's office opened on Tuesday. When I called Tuesday morning, I was told the the computers were down, call back in 2 hours. When I hung up the phone I thought "I'm going to die, I need to get some place now". I was seen in the ER immediately and a spinal tap was done right away. Antibiotics were started as soon as the spinal tap was finished. The spinal fluid was pink. Is this reason for concern? Other than lab work, no other test were done. I was kept for the day and sent home with a diagnoses of 'viral meningitis'. It's been 3 weeks now and I continue to have headaches, nausea and no appetite. I go from freezing cold to sweating in a flash. I too, am having serious memory problems. I'm also having blurred vision in my right eye. My Doctor tells me that my symtoms are not from the meningitis and pink spinal fluid is no reason for concern. She ordered a bunch of lab work and told me she would call me IF any thing was abnormal. Could there be something else going on? Should I be concerned?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 24th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Pink spinal fluid indicates presence of red blood cells, that aren't normally present.
This can be due to brain bleeding, jaundice, increased concentration of proteins (characteristic of viral meningitis), traumatic "tap".
It is important to be performed additional spinal taps to distinguish between traumatic tap and pathologic cause for pink spinal fluid.
The headache and nausea you are experiencing can be side effects of spinal tap, too.
Although rarely, the recovery from viral meningitis can be prolonged and some side effects can be permanent.
These include general fatigue, recurring headaches, problems concentrating, short-term memory loss, clumsiness, giddiness, balance problems, depression, violent temper outbursts, mood swings, bouts of aggression, learning difficulties, tinnitus (ringing in the ears), joint soreness or stiffness, visual problems such as double vision and cortical visual impairment, and the possibility of deafness, brain damage, or seizures.

Write back if you have some updates!
Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied July 25th, 2009
Momma Love, I too suffered your same plight starting on June 19th. The ER did not do a spinal tap, it took another week for family MD to diagnose the viral meningitis. I had one week where I felt I was getting better and then hit rock bottom and haven't gotten too far since. Still have all the horrible symptoms described above, plus my back is numb and I can't sleep at all. MD put me on steroids and I have been eating way too much. I am afraid I will end up with brain damage or permanent paralysis. It seems like there is something else they can do for us.
|

replied August 6th, 2009
Why am I still having meningitis symptoms two weeks after?
Shannon, I too was diagnosed with viral meningitis on July 23, 2009 four days after my first symptoms,symptoms the same migraine like headaches nausea and vomiting with an onset of Shingles (blistering like rash formed in a belt like formation typically on one side of the body caused by nerve infection). It has been over two and a half weeks and I felt great last week and now I am having headaches and small bouts of nausea. I don't understand why I am having similar symptoms from the illness.
|

replied September 24th, 2010
Viral Meningitis
On July 20, 2010 I woke up in the morning with the worst headache and could barely move my head Drank 3 Glasses of water and took 4 Ibupropian and laid back down the headache never went away I had alot of pain in my hands the night before and just felt out of it. SO I went to the ER that night and they admitted me after trying to do a spinal tap they stuck my 6 times and still could not find fluids, The next morning I was in Radiology and They did the spinal tap with thre sticks at that point. My Tests came back it was Meningitis my White blood cell count was High and my Protiens were high. I stayed in the hospital for 5 more days and left with the Diagnosis of Severe Viral Meningitis on July 26th. Since I left the hospital I have had a lump on the back of my neck where my neck and spine meet. I have pain in my joints and neck pain I also feel preasure in my head. I have blurred vision in my Left eye followed with pain an light flashes. My ears are sensitive. I still get headaches not as bad as the one I had. I get weak and am very Fatigued, I sometimes get pain shooting tru my skull. I also have Mucsle spasms in my back. I have seen an Optomotrist and Optomologist a Neurologist and they can't find anything wrong with me. I feel like I'm going Crazy it's been 8 weeks and still no relief. They ran CBC normal, MRI normal, Spinal Tap elevated levels of fluid but fluid was back to normal. I am still in pain and need help!! Does anyone have a solution
|

replied October 5th, 2010
On September 18, 2010 I awoke to a terrible headache. I took Advil and Tylenol, but nothing worked. Finally had my wife drive me to the hospital when my fever spiked to 102°C. Had chest xray, CT, blood and LP (after three attempts). Finally admitted several hours later with "aseptic meningitis. I was in the hospital for three days with fever, shakes, headache, nausea and photophobia. When I was released i had no energy and was dizzy and nauseous for 7 days. On the eighth I had a headache worse than my original, with dizziness, nausea and vomiting. I have "head" pain every day along with fatigue and occassional nausea and dizziness, and now some neck pain. On my followup with my primary, he said it's normal and should abate in a week or two. If not, it may be something neurological. Anyone have a similar experience?
|

User Profile
replied October 10th, 2010
Experienced User
Hi all,
I can relate to all your stories. I had severe Migraine headaches almost every day for 9 months after viral meningitis. Some people can recover quickly, but others it takes a lot longer. It is very important to find a doctor who is compassionate in dealing with pain and other symptoms. There are pain medications, anti-nausea, etc. There is no reason to live with these symptoms without help. If I did not get the intense medications to address my symptoms, I would easily would have killed myself. I suffered for 6 years after my diagnosis and thank God my doctor was willing to treat me. If you are having difficulty getting by, look on the internet for assistance programs. My very best wishes to you all and I hope you will seek out a doctor who can help you with the symptoms. CharlieJane
|

replied March 29th, 2011
Spinal Meningitis
WOW, this is huge to me... I had both bacterial and viral meningitis both at the same time. I was 18 yrs old playing college football in Arkansas. 1998 was the yr and no one knew anything about the symptoms or what should be done. Just to note I still have learning problem, joint problems, headaches and most of the other. For your eyes if you will have lasik done this fixed my sight problem. I have always wanted to talk to someone that had the same problems as me because when I was sick no one believed that I couldnt remember or that I hurt all the time. I was inthe hospital for 23 days and the only person to ever make it out of the hospital I was is This was due to the POWER OF JESUS

good Luck to all
|

replied June 28th, 2017
Wow! I am in the same boat my friend. Good luck!
|

replied August 21st, 2015
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to post because I believe it's important that people (and especially doctors!!!) realize the seriousness of viral meningitis.
I had viral meningitis three months ago and was hospitalized for about a week. Although it turned out to be "just viral" (which the doctors didn't know for the first several days and thus I was still treated aggressively with antibiotics in case it was bacterial), I was still VERY sick. As soon as the results came in as viral, the doctors pretty much told me I'd be fine and sent me home. They said it would be like recovering from the flu and it would only be a few days. Well, my recovery has been slow with drawbacks. At my follow up visits, every doctor I saw acted confused that I was still in pain and weak, even just 3 weeks later. In fact, one doctor thought I might have something else and ran some tests rather than believing I was still having meningitis headaches and body pain and fatigue just weeks after being hospitalized. My point is that doctors seem to think that viral meningitis isn't that bad and has a quick recovery time. However if you google it, you learn that TONs of people have slow recovery and also having long term effects is very common. DOCTORS especially need to take note as it has been my experience that they just don't know this (even though it's very obvious by the most simple of research online).
|

replied June 28th, 2017
Hi Everyone,

I had bacterial meningitis over 7 years ago and am still having night sweats and other issues. Cold temperatures lead to what my doctor calls "rigor". My entire body locks up and then releases and afterwards I feel as if I have run a marathon. Meningitis seems to be the cause of that as well. Is there anything out there that can help? I have found that doctors perform test after test but nothing is found and makes me think that the Meningitis has caused nerve damage and that is causing "some" of my issues as well. Is there any other documentation out there that helps?
|
Must Read
Meningitis is contagious and can be life threatening. Get the basic facts on meningitis here....
What are the different types of meningitis and who do they affect? We answer this here....
Early signs and symptoms of meningitis can mimic the flu. Can you identify meningitis symptoms and know when to seek medical help?...