I was in a car accident a few weeks ago and don't recall any of the accident or a few hours after the accident. I want to the ER the next day and got a cat scan but all the doctor told me was I was ok to go home. What could have caused this? And if it was a concussion wouldn't the doctor at the hospital had said something?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ninna62
|

replied May 10th, 2013
Extremely eHealthy
Because of the inconsistencies and variability of people and the fact that doctors are people too means medicine is the least precise of all the sciences and the study of brain behaviour the least subscribed to, if not the least precise branch of the least precise...
More is known about the moon than what goes on between the ears of people.

Partial memory loss isn't unusual and doesn't need to be caused by a physical injury. Shock or emotional trauma can cause temporary or permanent memory loss and stress can cause selective memory loss.

I had a friend who was beaten up quite thoroughly when he was young and as a result permanently lost a week of memory even though he wasn't injured seriously enough to be hospitalised and he never even lost consciousness. It might have been the result of a blow to the head but could equally have been caused by his mind protecting him from the unpleasant experience.

If your doctor is satisfied I advise you not to worry unduly but do report any changes promptly.
|

replied May 29th, 2013
If you had concussion from the car accident you will likely have some loss of memory & the brain is incredibly resilient that it can block traumatic memories. I know this because I had a traumatic brain injury & lost 3 whole weeks including how I was hurt & never regained memory of it.
Don't be too concerned about a small loss of memory surrounding the accident as it is quite common, if it becomes worse & you are having trouble recalling day to day activities then get a doctor's opinion on it.
|

replied May 30th, 2013
ninna62 wrote:
If you had concussion from the car accident you will likely have some loss of memory & the brain is incredibly resilient that it can block traumatic memories. I know this because I had a traumatic brain injury & lost 3 whole weeks including how I was hurt & never regained memory of it.
Don't be too concerned about a small loss of memory surrounding the accident as it is quite common, if it becomes worse & you are having trouble recalling day to day activities then get a doctor's opinion on it.

I think you are telling right my friend. It is a quite a common thing if it was a case of small loss of memory surrounding the accident. Because at the time of accident and you had the concussion, and the brain is resilient it happens because the connection of brain and blood is out, and that is why there is memory loss or unconsciousness for sometime. Even so,if your problem frequently increased than you need to consult the doctor.
|

replied June 1st, 2015
memory loss
What if I said I have lost my childhood and the ability of math and spelling that my deceased husband re taught me. My accident was 15 years ago and I know none of my relatives and if I am not in a constant reminder of who I do know- they are soon forgotten. I have the color purple that many of my memories revolve around. Some acts I remember but the people don't have faces- or there are faces with no names. I was T-boned on my door- optical nerves were compressed- I still wear shades- can see in the dark- but not without my shades, it's just bright orange. I forget short term too- lived hear 4 years and know maybe 3 streets- I lay mental bread crumbs and have to go the same way to the same store- or I'm lost. my pills are where I take them- after meals- bed and alike. If I don't put everything where it goes I cant find it- and will panic and have been known to search for hours.
|

replied June 27th, 2018
I have been suffering from short-term memory loss since I was in a car accident a few years back. Cellvamp supplement helps me to focus and remember things better. I would recommend it for mild to medium cases of memory problems.
|
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....