Medical Questions > Womens Health > Ovulation and Ovaries Forum

Melmet-500 tablet and folvite. Is that enough for me?

Must Read
What is PCOS? And when does polycystic ovary syndrome become a problem for women?...
Not all women with PCOS share the same symptoms but women with PCOS exhibit one of three main symptoms. PCOS signs and symptoms made clear here....
PCOS is often misdiagnosed. Educate yourself with some diagnostic questions that can point you in the right direction for an accurate PCOS diagnosis....
User Profile
I have PCOD and i am trying for a 1st baby. I got married in June 2011 but still i didn't get pregnant. I consulted a doctor before three months, she took hormone test and pelvic scan, and than she told that i have PCOD. For that she gave Melmet-500 tablet and folvite. Is that enough for me, can i get pregnant by having these tablets or any other surgery is required. She also tested my husband but his counts is normal and he doesn't have any problem. I have bilateral polycystic ovaries, Right ovary measured 4.3*2.4*2.7 and left ovary measured 4.2*2.4*2.8cms. This medicine is enough or i want to take more tablets. If i took these tablets melmet-500 and folvite means When i will get pregnant.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied August 11th, 2012
Ovulation and Ovaries Answer A37918
Welcome to ehealthforum,
If you have been diagnosed with having PCOS/PCOD, insulin modifiers (like Melmet prescribed to you) would help to reverse the ovarian changes and return ovarian function (since most common cause for PCOS is insulin resistance) also help to regulate your periods naturally. Consider discussing with your treating doctor/gynecologist about getting started on these along with hormonal contraceptives for better control of PCOS and for regularization of periods. Once the PCOS is under control, ovulation inducers can be started along with HCG trigger injections to help you have more than 1 egg getting matured to increase chances of pregnancy. If you are not successful in getting pregnant with 3-5 cycles of treatment, assisted reproductive techniques like IVF or ICSI could be helpful; in which, normal healthy sperms (from your partner) will be selected and washed to be fertilized with the egg, and then the embryos will be transferred to your womb. Sometimes, before going ahead with IVF/ICSI, your gynecologist might opt for ovarian drilling which at times returns the ovarian function (the exact mechanism is not yet known how it improves ovarian function). If you are trying for pregnancy, monitor cervical mucus changes and the BBT (basal body temperature) charting to predict your ovulation (along with the follicular study) and time your intercourse for having fruitful results. Have intercourse in positions that allow for deeper penetration for high deposit of semen. Have diet with foods rich in zinc content to ensure better maturation of egg and sperms. Take adequate rest. Drink plenty of water. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ovulation and Ovaries , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.