Medical Questions > Cancer > Skin Cancer Forum

Melanoma , rough slightly raised red spot

Must Read
What is melanoma? This section give you a quick intro to this particular type of skin cancer, including the entire range of types of melanomas....
Doctors are pretty certain that ultraviolet radiation plays a role in the development of melanoma. Which other activities put you at risk of melanoma?...
What does melanoma look like? Learn to identify early signs and symptoms of melanoma with this full description of symptoms of melanoma here....
User Profile
What is this?

My dad was recently diagnosed with melanoma.
I've started to do spot checks and learn about it.

I have this rough slightly raised red spot that I don't know what it is. It is about .5 cm located in the middle of my chest below my rib cage.

Here is a picture: k0047.jpg

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied August 26th, 2010
Skin Cancer Answer A15684
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by slightly raised red spot on chest below the rib cage about 0.5 cm in size. You have also made a mention of melanoma in your father.
It is very difficult to comment online and the image that you sent is also not available to me. The possibilities could include a harmless de Morgan spot which is a small hemangioma and a sign of aging of skin usually seen after the age of 40 but can occur earlier as well. The other things to rule out are acne or skin spots due to some blood malignancies. You can see if this skin lesion remains so or it undergoes any change in size, color or appearance over time when it might be the sign of alarm and you must consult your dermatologist urgently for definitive diagnosis and to rule out malignancy as the same is not possible online.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.