Medical Questions > Cancer > Skin Cancer Forum

melanoma on R. arm - Breslow depth 0.6mm, Clark's level 111

Hello all, I may add way too much information but since I don't really understand anything of what my doctor told me I don't know what to add and what not to. My main concern was that she told me she wasn't going to put me under anesthesia when she removed my melanoma...lol...she said it would leave a very large scar!! Who doesn't put someone asleep when they do surgery that leaves a very large scar?? Anyway, Yesterday my dermatologist informed me that the scrape biopsy she did on my upper right arm came back as the following: Skin: upper tight arm; invasive Malignant Melanoma, Nevoid Type, Breslow Depth 0.6mm, Clark's level 111 with Involved Peripheral Margins. Under Comment: Step level sections show epidermal consumption and a poorly circumscribed compound melanocytic proliferation. The dermal melanocytes demonstrate significant cytologic atypia and I see no maturation with increase in dermal depth. There are numerous mitotic figures. The findings are most consistent with an invasive malignant melanoma nevoid type. The Breslow depth is 0.6mm and the Clark's level is 111. A lymphocytic host response is present but not brisk. The mitotic rate is 4 per mm2. I see no lymphovascular invasion or ulceration. Hhhhuuuu??? Any help with just putting that into a few simple words. AND - why aren't they going to put me to sleep to remove this???
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 1st, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern.
In simple words you have clinically localized melanoma stage 1B (T1b).
I would suggest you to have wide surgical excision of the lesion with 1cm normal margins to prevent recurrence.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is melanoma? This section give you a quick intro to this particular type of skin cancer, including the entire range of types of melanomas....
Doctors are pretty certain that ultraviolet radiation plays a role in the development of melanoma. Which other activities put you at risk of melanoma?...
What does melanoma look like? Learn to identify early signs and symptoms of melanoma with this full description of symptoms of melanoma here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.