Medical Questions > Cancer > Skin Cancer Forum

Melanoma but could not find the primary mole

Hello,
9 months ago, a friend of mine has discovered a tumor in her left parotid, the doctors said that there's a 98% chance that it will be benign. Unfortunately, they were shocked and said it was melanoma. and since they discovered it in the parotid (not in the skin) they say it has moved so it's stage 4.

After this, they started searching for the primary source mole but they could not find it. Another surgeon removed 8 suspected moles 2 weeks later but they were all negative. So they thought it should be somewhere in the soft tissues (eyes, ears, nose, mouth, vagina...etc) so they did lots of tests - blood tests, scans, biopsy, and radioscopy but all of them gave negative results. Till now they don't know where the source is, and even the latest scan was all negative.

I am trying to understand my friend's case. How come no one has been able to find the primary source? and what is expected now? is she stage 4 as she's not getting any treatment? and what can I do to help out?

Thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 25th, 2010
In 1 to 3 percent of cases of metastatic (Stage 4) melanoma, a primary tumor is never found. In many such cases, the primary tumor was either destroyed by the body's immune system or was missed on a prior skin biopsy.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied May 6th, 2012
metastatic melanoma, no primary mole detected
I have been searching for just this answer. My step-daughter passed away last night from metastatic melanoma, 3 weeks after a CT can for an unrelated problem showed cancer all over her organs, especially her brain. By the time an MRI was done and a biopsy analysed her oncologist wanted one more MRI before her first treatment. Even her oncologist was shocked at the progression of the tumors - nothing could be done for her. No indicating mole was ever noticed and I find that terrifying in itself

Thank you both for the question and the answer.
|
Must Read
What is melanoma? This section give you a quick intro to this particular type of skin cancer, including the entire range of types of melanomas....
Doctors are pretty certain that ultraviolet radiation plays a role in the development of melanoma. Which other activities put you at risk of melanoma?...
What does melanoma look like? Learn to identify early signs and symptoms of melanoma with this full description of symptoms of melanoma here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.