Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Medication: Quetiapine (Seroquel XL), your thoughts?

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
User Profile
As I have only just been diagnosed I am beginning to take new medication called Quetiapine. There are a lot of mixed views on this medication, some say it's brought their life back and others state how it's like poison and it shouldn't be legal. Obviously this is now worrying me quite a lot.

I have just stopped taking 20mg flouroxitine, and now have been prescribed with this at what sounds like a massive amount of 150mg, and he wants me to up it to 300mg after the end of march... It sounds quite a serious medication, I'm scared if I'm honest. Should I be?

Does anybody have any thoughts on it, should I worry about taking it? Will it help with Bipolar II? Does anyone have any information on it? Thank you!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Oneofus
|

replied March 12th, 2012
Experienced User
Hi Chaar94, I have bipolar disorder 1 mixed, and have taken Seroquel for my insomnia. I honestly didn't like it because it made me sleepy to the point I passed out during the day. I don't think I gave it enough time to kick in for my system. So, to me, it wasn't for me. Everyone is different, and their bodies. You need to give it at least a week, then see. If you want, you can also discuss with your physician on how you feel about taking it, and he should be able to answer any questions you have. I hope this helps, take care! Let me know if you need any other questions answered.
|

User Profile
replied March 13th, 2012
Thank you AMowns! I started taking it last night, and i sleep through my alarm, through calls to see why i wasn't at school and still feel drowsy now. I don't know whether this is because of the medication or just because i have it in my head that thats what was going to happen haha. i hope i don't have the same effects as you have experienced, but we'll see. Thanks again!
|

replied March 13th, 2012
Experienced User
No problem, and everyone is different. I really hope it works for you.
|

User Profile
replied March 14th, 2012
same here to be honest, I want life to be a much better quality than it has been! they're practically knocking me out at the moment.... hopefully they'll ease off!
|

replied March 14th, 2012
Experienced User
I know right?! Let me know if they work for you, because I know others that may work better for you as well.
|

User Profile
replied March 15th, 2012
thank you!
|

User Profile
replied March 15th, 2012
Experienced User
Hello. Again.

I thought I advised you that you need a mood stabiliser such as Seroquel or lithium to control the BP. Did I not? Why didn't you listen?

But that only deals with the highs. You need another anti D to deal with the depression side, the bad, down side which can be real misery after a high. Together they will even your life out and you should then be capable of seeing a CBT therapist. I think I told you this before too. Time you started listening and at least asking what I mean or something, not just add more questions about the same things.

You were on prozac and, in my opinion, it's useless, so no harm done. I believe it to be a placebo given to newbies only. It did zip for me that's for sure.

Get serious, and fast, and stop ignoring advice. Give us real details to work with.

I use 50mgs of Seroquel at night for sleep only but it also has allowed me to stop lithium so it is all good for me. It's a mood stabiliser.

150 mgs, Yes I would be scared too. 300 I would freak out. I do know one guy who takes 800 and he says it does nothing for him. He's clearly unique. The rest of us it knocks out, big time. I've used my measly 50 mgs for sleep for about 4 years and it still knocks me out. So what 150 would do to you I hate to think. Try another shrink, that one sounds like he's been to a Seroquel trade fair.

Most shrinks go to these. They get free travel, coomodation and meals and have to attend seminars on how good each drug is. Then they are given as much as they can carry, as samples. Some docs only use the latest trade fair goodie.

Every tablet I've had of Seroquel has been a free sample. Fine by me.

Wave to Amowns. On the ball there AMowns.
|

replied March 15th, 2012
Experienced User
Thanks but, I'm just trying to help. I'm Lithium right now, too and found out I need a new drug. I've token prozac,and you're right about that drug, and I've token Seroquel, too. Made me too sleepy. If I may ask, what other ones have helped you, that may work for me?
|

User Profile
replied March 15th, 2012
Ive literally only just seen this response, there doesn't seem to be a notification thing on this site, unless im missing it! sorry for it looking like i wasn't taking any notice of you, but now ive read your other messages i probs wouldn't have posted this.
Im sorry again!!!

I didn't know about the trade fair things, they sound ridiculous! I thought it was quite a lot as well, at least its making me sleep. surely thats a good thing, with the moods its too soon to see i think. I got mine from boots as a prescription so at least i know it wasn't one of those free sample thing! Smile
|

replied March 15th, 2012
Experienced User
It's ok lol. I'm here!
|

User Profile
replied March 15th, 2012
I've been through some bad times in the past, i covered up my emotions and kept myself distant from people. In the past 3 years things have been very up and down, which we all thought was a normal teenage phase. but it got worse, i had a voice that noone else could hear... my moods became extreme, self harming happened, i took a overdose (being the voice told me to) and people were seeing different sides to me constantly, especially the speech and activity levels.

Due to all the stress at college and work i was sent to see a councillor to sort out the stress and to learn coping strategies. This then quickly went to being put on anti depressants at the age of 16. It didn't get much better, the anti d's reduced the depression stages but escalated the more elated sides. this obviously caused concern. So i was reffered to have an assessment, i was put into CBT (which helped a lot to a point). Then i took an overdose because Alice (the voice) told me too, which got me to a psychiatrist and i got the diagnosis.

Thats a bit of my history like you asked for.
|

User Profile
replied March 15th, 2012
Experienced User
To A Mowns,

The only med that really helps me is Effexor. There are more modern versions though but I stick with what I know. Both lithium and small dose Seroquel stop the BP2 and there is no other drug but Effexor I can say actually helped, lithum and seroqul do the mood stabilising fine for me but I think after so long on lithium it was making me nauseous so I stopped it and rely on the night Seroquel. 6 months now and stable and no fear, at peace.

With the Seroquel all I take is 50mgs at night, initially about half an hour before sleep was needed but now it takes 2 -3 hours before I feel that tiredness set in. No sign of BP on that regimen though. I think if it's small dose Seroquel taken early in the evening then the sleepiness is there when it shoud be, while you're sleeping.

Avoid Avanza like the plague, that's where I got my chronic pain from. Oedema which is permanent and killed the fine nerve endings in my feet. While I was taking that I couldn't wake up, couldn't get out of bed and couldn't walk much at all. Dreadful med.

Have you tried Effexor for the depression part, anxiety and other things too it works on? Ignore the horror stories about FX, coming off can be bad but who thinks about coming off when you may get years of relief from it?

I had a bad two weeks first time off and a few weird visual effects that stopped me driving for a few months first time off it (tolerance level reached). Second time on after reaching tolerance again when I came off there was nothing at all. This time? WHo knows. I've been settled at 300 mgs for some years now so maybe I won 't ever come off it. I know I'm stuck with meds for life now as I'm 61 and been dealing with this since I was 10. Fair while huh?

Don't worry, there were long periods in there that I didn't notice it and lived a good life and did everything I wanted to. Travel was my thing. Everywhere in Australia and the UK, Europe, Afghanistan was where I spent the longest. These days travel is to the letterbox only really, apart from my shrink. I just don't feel a need for anything but what I have and have done these days. I'm at home at last, for 11 years now after a lifetime of looking and wandering around, and working too. 4 kids and a long time partner and a dreadful ex wife. She's my biggest regret actually.

I think this is what is described as happy. I call it content.

SO I can only really say FX as nothing else has shown anything but a flicker.

Hope you haven't had it yet and that you do and it helps. That would be great. First two weeks on are the usual side effects, aches, headaches, nausea, dry mouth and it can take maybe 6 weeks to start helping. If you stay on the starter dose it may never help either. Minimum of 300mgs to know if it will help. But don't start at that level, work your way up.

Some docs give people 17.5 mgs as a starter and they give up and say it's useless. No, they are, and so is their doctor.
|

replied March 15th, 2012
Experienced User
Thanks Oneofus, I haven't tried Effexor yet, but I will definitely discuss that with my psychiatrist when I see her. I'm glad things are going good for you, and traveling sounds nice. I just want to be to succeed in life, with college, job, and much more. You're right about meds, we'll more than likely be on them for the rest of our lives, but is worth it to have relief.
|

User Profile
replied March 15th, 2012
Experienced User
Yeah A,

I hate the damned things and never would even look at them when young, as one shouldn't need to. But today it's survival, get some quality of life, be calm and serene. I love where I am even though it's still deep depression. To be honest I have to say I have no idea what I used to feel like or be and don't want that back. Right here, sitting on the ledge watching the black pit is a safe place for me as I know now I can get out again if I slip.

Hope it works for you.
|

replied March 16th, 2012
Experienced User
Thanks again!
|