Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Medication Advice

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
I was diagnosed with PTSD three years ago, with underlying anxiety and depression. My psychiatrist at the time prescribed 50mg Zoloft(SSRI) taken daily, and low dose Xanax to take as needed (20 per month.) But I lost my health insurance and had to wean myself off. I recently got insurance again, saw a primary care doctor who simply diagnosed me with generalized anxiety but refused to give me Xanax, so he re-prescribed the zoloft, and it hasn't really been helping with anxiety symptoms and has made me slightly more depressed. So he wants me to wean off zoloft again, and start taking Effexor (SNRI.) The thought of dealing with the side effects of stopping one medication and starting a new one is giving me immense anxiety. I am already highly stressed due to school and work (both full time) and would like a second opinion. Help?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 25th, 2017
Hello and welcome

I appreciate your concern

Based on your description the replacement snri effexor which you mentioned, can be a replacement for the zoloft during this transition phase. One can advise bromazepam or lorazepam which are benzodiazepines in this stage to help with a smooth transition.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.